uninstall XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default uninstall XP

Hi,

Awhile back on an old PC I kept getting stop error's.
I tried to understand how to fix it, but I ended up doing somthing maybe I should'nt have.

I never made XP cd's on the said PC so I used the ones I made for this PC. I'm sure this is against the tos for ms, but I was a little upset that for no reason another copy that I paid for stopped working. I wasnt able to try and uninstall the nonworking xp, and wasnt sure how to implement only a few broken files. I just popped in the CD's and I'm pretty sure chose the repair option .

Wala...the PC runs fine. Or it did. even though It has a different PC brand logos among other stuff.... Now I'm locked out due to the windows registration BS. I dont want to be online with a bogus copy of windows installed, How can I uninstall this?
And if I can will I be able to recover the original copy of XP from the system?

Old 10-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

if I read this right, you need to legaly activate it...

look on the side of the computer for a holographic sticker, it will have your legal product key on it, use that to activate windows...

Old 10-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the thing is, its one copy of windows installed on two different PC's. I just wanted to see if the PC would work,
as I understand it, you can only have one copy of windows for each PC right?

I'm not at all trying to pirate anything, was just trying to fix corrupted files. Can I recover the original copy from the "fixed" pc

when I try to do a recovery now it askes for the cd's I used from this copy of windows.

(add) also, to what you mention. My new PC has the sticker on the side with product keys, but the old one (wich I used, recovery disks from new PC) was an oem and doesnt have sticker, and had trouble obtaining a product key for the os.

sorry if confusing, thanks for reply.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to homerj14

well if you already illegally have the copy on both you already broke tos anyway haha so you might as well keep it
Old 10-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

read what this has to say... specifically RicoDirenzo

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=73089
Old 10-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If the same copy is on both machines you broke the rules and your cd key is then "supposed" to be sent to MS on activation to be added to the blacklist of CD keys.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 10-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I dont beleive that. I have 5 pcs using the same XP key, for 4 years now, and I still use them.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hey all, thanks alot for the insight.

a correction on my part: I do in fact have both product keys. I swore there was no sticker on my old oem machine.

so to clarify, I used repair discs from this PC, on another PC.
can I activate windows with the other product key or will I need to use this one?

somthing id like to know is.
If somehow I can uninstall the new installed copy of XP, and recover the original?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

not unless you did a repair and didn't format, or if you have the original disks for that machine...

Closed Thread