Uninstall Software Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
Any way to uninstall programs on users computers remotely? Because of a lack of monitoring who has local admin rights on their PC's, many users have software on their computer's that they shouldn't. There are too many different computer at various sites to do it physically so it would be a lot more efficient if I could just uninstall any questionable software remotely. Thanks.

To use Remote Desktop (RDP), you must enable it in the System Properties (Windows key + pause/break key). Note that the computer your are remoting to must have XP Professional, Server 2003, Media Center Edition, Vista Ultimate or Business. Then using the Microsoft Terminal Services Client (Start, run, mstsc), you can connect to that computer name (by its name or IP address). Then you will be able to login to that computer remotely and control it just as if you were sitting in front of it.

I'd like to do it without using remote desktop. It would be nice if I could just execute some script or use some software that could uninstall certain software without them being aware that I have done it. This way I wouldn't have to ask every user to log off in order for me to remote in to do it. It also prevents me having to have "that talk" with every single person and explain to them why I'm taking the software off their PC's. There are just too many users and it would take forever to go about it that way.

I don't think you would be able to just "run a script". I suppose you could access their folders through the network... but the Program Files folder is protected.

However, I would not recommend that you simply uninstall their software without letting them know. They might just reinstall it, not knowing how it got removed in the first place.

You can use WinVNC to remotely control another computer without logging in to it, but like RDP, the other person will not be able to use the computer while you are uninstalling their software.

Why not just place them all in a User group that cant run executable files? That way you prevent them from installing. If they cant run a .exe they have a harder time trying to install.

Sadly this is the only thing i can think of. Vista does have some security issues. But overall the main thing would be is to have them have a seperate account, not the admin one on their PC. Have the admin account password protected so they cant access it, not even in safe mode.

From there you limit their account to allow only what you want run. Prevent .exe files from working along with the few other installers. Like .msi's and autobat's. This will be the only true way to stop them from installing software.

To remove it you have to use RDP. Which doesnt allow you to connect while they are. At least not with XP. I know that 2000 you actually could execute some commands and take over someones system. I will have to see if i can find those again.

I remember in my Net+ class we had a compeition where we had to shut down everyone else's PC. Last one running won. So there is a way but you will have full control and they will not have any. So they know something will be going on. There is no way un less you stop them from installing to prevent "The talk"

"If I see that software on your computer after today, you are out of here. No more warnings."

Problem solved.

I took away a lot of users local Administrator privileges but what sucks is that half the people here are developers and take their laptops off site and may need local admin rights to do certain things and i also have to deal with people who are at high positions who think they need to be Administrators even though they have no idea about the problems that could arise so I just let them stay in the local Administrators group. I'm just going to have to have "that talk" with them which I'm not used to because this is my first corporate environment network. I'm going to have to get used to dealing with the "Corporate Politics" part of network administration. Thanks for the suggestions.;)

You could go client/server. Put all their needed apps on the server and put the users in the "users" group. Power users at most. Take away their .exe install rights. Then they have to run the apps from the server. If they go off-site, make them use VPN or something to connect to the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom