uninstall problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistyMina

Baseband Member
Hi, so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place...wasn't quite sure where to put it :confused: don't mind it being moved if ness. but I just need answers!!!

My uncle has recently moved from BT Yahoo over to NTL Broadband. He got a friend who apparently knew what he was doing, to uninstall the BT Yahoo & install the NTL...hmm, he messed up! :amazed:
I'm not exactly a whiz with computers, but I know how to uninstall things!! :p
Uncle called on me to help...seems bt yahoo is still installed, altho there is no internet connection yet! (NTL will run thru a tv set-top box to supply cable broadband connection and we haven't hooked everything up yet!) When I tried to uninstall the bt yahoo, I kept getting an error message saying that the install.log file could not be found and that it was needed to perform the uninstallation. Unfortunately, my uncle doesn't have the bt yahoo installation disk, so I can't repair/replace the missing file. Is there any way to get around this? Can I uninstall without the install.log file?
I was advised to create a new un/install file by opening a blank text doc in the uninstall file, typing unwise.exe install.log and saving doc as uninstall.bat, when double clicked this would apparently run the uninstaller?! ...surprise surprise...didn't work!! :rolleyes:

any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

go to C:\Program Files\BT Yahoo folder or whatever the folder is named and delete it. If it wont let you delete it, go in safe mode, reboot and press F8, safe mode only, not networking or cmd prompt. Then download CClaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ to remove other junk files it left behind. Now try to do what you need to do

Oooh, what fun & games I've had today with that bloomin computer! :mad:

I tried the C:\program files route....then I ran regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current version\uninstall
Managed to uninstall all but one file...nasty little thing to do with a previous modem that had been used in my uncles old house. It had me going round in circles! (speedtouch usb adsl ppp) Cut a long story short, I managed to get rid of it in the end.

Now I have just two problems...1st, the NTL installation program is still saying the speedtouch file is causing a problem and it won't install until I can fix it, and 2nd, the comp won't boot into safe mode :confused:
I tried the usual F8 route, all I got was a seemingly frozen black screen...so then I added a safe mode option into the boot loader menu (so you get the option to either load windows normally or in safe mode at boot up...probably didn't need to explain that did I? lol) When I rebooted after making this change, I got a message saying that it couldn't boot into safe mode due to problems with the hard disk, or it couldn't boot/read from the hard disk, I can't quite remember, sorry :(
Does this mean theres something seriously wrong with windows itself? Missing or corrupted files?
I found something on the internet saying to use the msconfig > Boot.ini > safeboot option, but I'm doubting that will work either if the system can't read the HD?

I'm thinking it might be easier just to reconfigure? But seeing as I'd like to get as much knowledge about pc's as I can, (they fascinate me!!) I'd like to try as many different things as possible to try and fix it before I resort to reconfiguring! You don't learn anything if you don't try do you?! ;)
So any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Thank You!
Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom