Unidirectional Network Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

xr280xr

Baseband Member
Hi

I've had this problem forever. I am running Windows XP pro on my desktop, and XP home on my laptop. When trying to share files, my laptop "sees" all my shared folders on my desktop and works perfectly. My desktop computer "sees" the laptop in my network places but if I try to access it, it tells me:

"[Computer name] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The network path was not found"

Same result if trying to connect by IP. In the command prompt, a net view, shows the the computer (\\Inspiron_1150), but I can not ping it. (And of course I have file sharing of folders enabled on the laptop). I can ping from my laptop to the desktop sucessfully.

I have gone through the network wizard and selected the choice "This computer connects to a network that does not have an internet connection" (which is the only option that lets sharing work with other computers) even though it does have internet.

Anyone know why my connection only works one way??

(Please only responses relevent to solving this specific problem. Thanks!)

XP home has a default built in security thing. It's weird and difficult to work with. Make sure the directories that you are sharing don't fall within c:\documents and settings\any user name. If they are not in there then right click on the folder and go to properties Check the sharing and security tab to verify permissions.

The folder is under my username (my documents) what do I have to do to share this folder. If i turn off mcaffee firewall, it allows me to attempt to log in under the guest account which is disabled. If I turn it on and remove the password the sharing works, but I don't want to have the guest account on (I don't have it active on my desktop computer and I can share files just fine). I'm only familiar with networking on NT where you define users and permissions. Can you tell me more about how it works on xp? Thanks!

I forgot to ask, do I open a port on the firewall or something? Cause it seems to be blocking the filesharing.

Did you turn off XPs firewall? Try using no FW's and see if you can ping it and access it. Did you allow the connection in Mcafee? Zone Alarm always asks me about a new connection when Im networked

Very strange. I'm gonna take you through the steps from when I first posted this thread:

1. On the laptop, Mcaffee personal firewall was on, Guest account was off and password protected. Windows firewall was on.

2. I turned off Mcaffee firewall and tried accessing the computer. It gave me a logon password window under the guest account (which was the only option for user) but I did not know the password.

3. Removed password from guest user account. Tried accessing computer, and it worked.

4. Turned windows firewall back on, still worked (pings and all).

5. Tried to put the guest password back on, but there is no option to do this (do you know how you add one?).

6. Turned McAfee firewall back on...could not access it.

Clearly the password was needed before, and McAfee is blocking it. I do not know how to allow it though, it only gives me the option of allowing applications or ports and only notifies me of new connections for outgoing connections. So...open a certain port?

ipconfig the working computer and manually enter that ip in mcaffee or unistall mcaffee

some 3rd party firewalls will give networks fits. make sure they are disable (preferably uninstalled) when you run the wizard as the true vector part will still try to block the ports

most 3rd party firewalls will recognize an already installed properly communicated network

Awesome thanks. To sum up I just had to remove the password from the guest account beceause apparently windows uses the guest account for file sharing whether it's enabled or not, and tell McAfee to trust all traffic on my network. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom