Unexpected shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
well do you want me to hook you up or what?
What with? Installing an os? No, I've already got that taken care of. Maybe some help with burning an up to date copy of my os.

About the problem with my comp shutting down. I just disabled all startup programs through msconfig and still getting same results during spyware and antivirus scan and installation of games.

Down this Here

Get your XP cd out and copy it to your hard drive

download XP SP2

Install autostreamer

Go to the help topic and it will walk you thru the process. Its very easy.

That seems easy enough...now if it only didn't take me a week to download sp2. I guess it's a good thing I use FF so i can pause the download.

What are your thoughts about the problem I'm having with my computer shutting down? I'm going to double check that all my drivers and windows itself is up to date, and I'm almost 100% sure it isn't a hardware problem.

Is it possible to get the file from a computer that is already upgraded to sp2 through windows update? I'd really rather not download the file again.

I didn't think I could but I had to ask. I'm guessing you don't have any ideas about the problem I'm having now with my computer restarting itself.

bad power supply or you just got a fubar (fvck up beyond all recognition) xp disc.

you are never suppose to encounter errors installing xp unless your cd is scratched or you cd rom is too cheap to read all of the files properly.

I'll swap out power supplies and see if it fixes the problem. The xp disk shouldn't have any problems. It is brand new and installed on a different computer without any trouble. I guess if the power supply isn't the problem i'll slipstream sp2 to my disk and try another clean install.

Did I mention that the system doesn't shutdown like I explained while it's idle? Just thought that would be some valuable info.

Ibnz320 said:
I never had problems installing 95, 98 or ME, but with 2000 and XP there always seems to be error messages of some kind. Usually it's just that I needed to clean the disk or use a different cd-rom drive. If it wasn't a problem with the cd being read, I can usually get it installed by just reformatting and trying again....sometimes several times. Normally it's an all day process when I'm installing 2000 or xp on a new system.

according to this you do have problems. you should never see and error message during install. if you do your disc is messed up or your cd rom is reading all of the files on the disc.

I encountered these problems working on some people's computers. these days they are making cheesey cd rom. swapping the xp cd(I keep an iso backup on my hard drive) or cd rom (I have a good cheap old cd rom that I keep around for just this purpose) and then reinstalling windows fixes the problem. I then put their cd rom back

if you encouter those file missing errors, something is wrong. if you ignore those errors and finish install, you will have a halfway working version of xp lite that also halfway don't works

Instead of swapping power supplies, I tried using a SATA power adapter instead of the one that is already on the power supply. I also noticed my DRAM timing in my bios settings didn't match my cards. It was set by default at 4-4-4-8. I reset it to 3-3-3-8. Now the system, so far, doesn't seem to be shutting down like before. I don't know which could have solved the problem or if it did at all. I was able to get through many installs and scans that would shutdown my computer before. Hopefully the problem is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom