Unexpected shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibnz320

Solid State Member
I just went through the trouble of installing XP SP1 onto a PCI-E system. Then I updated windows and all drivers. Afterwards I went about installing avast antivirus, spybot S&D, regcleaner and ad-aware se personal. (please, let me know if I made a bad choice with these utilities) I updated and ran these programs successfully with no detections. Up to this point I had no problems other than the PCI-E issue, which surprized me because I've always ran into numerous errors with os installations. The next day I started up the computer (at a different location than it was originally setup) and went to install a game. I'd say around halfway through the install the computer shutdown and re-booted. When I say shutdown I don't mean the normal windows shutdown process, but as if it had been turned off by the power button. So, I decided to run my virus scan, adware, and spyware software. During the virus and spyware scans, the same thing happened as did during the install of the game. I'm almost sure I've eliminated any hardware problems by bench tests and re-seating video and memory cards and still getting the same results. Also, system and cpu temps are staying roughly between 88F and 98F, so I can't imagine these shutdowns to be caused by heat. The system doesn't shutdown like this while idle either. Any suggestions as to why this could be happening would be appreciated and I hope I provided enough info.

so what kind of problems do you have while installing an operating system? The only program you should get rid of is the reg cleaner. The others are fine. Have you checked whats running in msconfig? disable everything is msconfig --> startup and reboot and then try to install the game again.

so what kind of problems do you have while installing an operating system?
I never had problems installing 95, 98 or ME, but with 2000 and XP there always seems to be error messages of some kind. Usually it's just that I needed to clean the disk or use a different cd-rom drive. If it wasn't a problem with the cd being read, I can usually get it installed by just reformatting and trying again....sometimes several times. Normally it's an all day process when I'm installing 2000 or xp on a new system.
Have you checked whats running in msconfig? disable everything is msconfig --> startup and reboot and then try to install the game again.
I'll give that a try today and let you know what happens.

I can run you thru it and have you up and running in 45 minutes or less.......
Are you telling me during xp installations you don't get any error messages where you have to restart the computer? Would it help if I kept an up to date version of the os on the disk?

I dont get anything..it installs smoothly...I also have slipstreamed SP 2 in my XP cd which makes it that much faster......

So why do I always get all these error messages? I've always been able to get it installed...eventually, but it would be nice if I didn't have to go through the trouble and all the time it normally takes.

No, I don't remember them. I've built a lot of computers for friends, family and myself....there's no way I could remember all the error messages I've seen. Even so, I still see a new one every time I install windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom