Undeletable File? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Undeletable File?

I downloaded some songs awhile ago and I think I might've got a virus. It says it's an .MP3 file, yet I can't do ANYTHING to it. I can't move it, delete it, copy it, or anything. I scanned it and nothing was found and I was using Avast Pro. I can right click on the file, but the only options that come up are: "Play", "Open", "Send To -->". Any help? If you need any more info, just ask.

UPDATE: I Googled information and found that you CAN delete it using the command prompt, BUT the filename to the file is really long and just continues on, AND I can't even select the file to read the whole name.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Restart in safe mode (press f8 as you startup) then delete it , try renaming first then deleting on normal start up .if the worst comes to the worst then download a ntfs reader boot disk from herehttp://www.ntfs.com/products.htm and when you navigate to that file delete that way .

Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If the file comes back automatically after deleting, you can go to its properties and strip all its permissions (If you have XP Home, you must do this in Safe Mode).
Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Use the del command, but first change directory to the file. I think command has tab-completion, so type the first couple of characters and press tab. The file name should be completed. If there isn't tab-completion, type as many characters as you can and add a wildcard character (*) to the end. Remember to add the /f argument to force deletion.
Code:
del C:\Path\To\File\filename /f
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

If those don't work, try booting to a live linux CD like Knoppix or Austrumi and delete it.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried to rename the file and it didn't work because I can't even select it. I also tried starting up in safe mode, and tried deleting and renaming it, but it still didn't work. I didn't really want to create a bootdisk, so I tried the command prompt again. Except I looked at void's "wildcard" suggestion by typing a * at the end, and it WORKED! I just used the DEL command, and the file was really long and couldn't be displayed, so I typed in DEL DJ* and it was gone. Thanks alot! What is this file anyway, and do you think it'd harm my comp?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

who gives a fook dude! at least its gone! I had same sorta thing a while ago, makes you feel powerless doesnt it when you think you know just about everything about windows and comps in general. The guys that make that sort of file, wtf are they thinking. Sat at home in their *** stained pants lusting after either a girlfriend or the latest 'l33t h@xx0rz'. ****in love to meet some of em i tell ya!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hahaha nerds with no lives and have WAY too much time create ******** like that haha.

Closed Thread