Unable to install windows 7

I agree with KSoD, about not upgrading it within XP. You can only do a clean install with new partitions. This will delete all XP partitions and start off with new ones for Windows 7 installation. Other hardware devices may cause Win 7 not to install correctly if incompatible.

I still recommend you to perform the windows upgrade advisor just to make sure your hardware is good to go with Window 7 on the XP machine. The advisor will tell you to perform a custom/clean install, but this may pinpoint where the problem may be if there's are hardware issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly are the specs of this pc you're trying to install Windows 7 on? Not sure if that really matters but it might.

Do you have any RAID, SATA or AHCI mode settings enabled or changed that you aren't aware of? Incorrect settings will mess up Windows 7 while OSs like Ubuntu and XP will work just fine. For instance my Alienware laptop has RAID capabilities and you need RAID drivers in order for it to work whether or not you're using more than one hard drive.

One thing that I found out one day is that the Windows Vista and 7 image burning software can burn iso images better than you would think. Have you tried that? Is your pc disconnected from the internet while Windows installs? I don't trust Windows update not to mess it up. I update after the OS is bootable.

Last edited:
If you have another machine to use while your doing all this I would recommend formatting the HDD you want to use, then try loading a clean install without any XP drivers, registry, etc... on it. This way you can at least rule out that possibility. If that doesn't work, then I would have to say try downloading another copy of the windows program, then use the CD code you have from your copy.

KSOD gave me the original name of the file I used the same method on... I think it's Windows 7 "whatever version" untouched, or unused... Something like that. I can't remember off the top of my head. But for me it worked... My disk had tiny marks that kept it from loading properly.

If you have another machine to use while your doing all this I would recommend formatting the HDD you want to use, then try loading a clean install without any XP drivers, registry, etc... on it. This way you can at least rule out that possibility. If that doesn't work, then I would have to say try downloading another copy of the windows program, then use the CD code you have from your copy.

KSOD gave me the original name of the file I used the same method on... I think it's Windows 7 "whatever version" untouched, or unused... Something like that. I can't remember off the top of my head. But for me it worked... My disk had tiny marks that kept it from loading properly.

OEM is the word you're looking for, I believe.

I am not upgrading, the hardware is all compatible I believe its something in BIOS I have ran win 7 compatibility and everything clears

I have formatted the HD about 15 times, and I have tried 3 different copies of windows 7. I have tried installing it on my HD and my SSD it goes the the installation process takes me to the starting windows screen then goes black and my computer restarts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go into Bios and make sure your drive is set to AHCI if your not running RAID..

Back
Top Bottom