Unable to get to desktop in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwest60657

Beta member
After my anti-virus(Symantec) caught and deleted a trojan yesterday, I went into regedit and deleted several values from the registry. I also restored 2 WinLogon entries to their previous values exactly according to the instructions. Problem is I did not backup the registry before doing this, system restore is turned off, and I'm now stuck at the XP welcome screen. When I try to logon as myself or administrator, an endless loop occurs where it starts to load for a second then logs off immediately. I've already tried safe-mode, safe mode with command prompt, loading optimal defaults in Bios setup = same thing! Their is no floppy drive and the cd-rom drive doesn't work so I can't even do a clean install. Is there any way to bypass the XP logon welcome screen maybe thru msdos? Is there any other way to the desktop? I'm probably going to lose my job over this one. :(

ooo you may want to pm Computer Forums - View Profile: Mak213 he is the windows guru. You can still get the data off via plugging it into a different machine and copying pasting then reinstalling windows and pasting everything back...... all user settings and most programs can be moved this way although its not really advised unless your in a serious jam which I thunk you are.

Thanks for the help. Tried the repair install but kept getting the same endless logon loop. Gave in and did a clean install. Luckily on e-machines all you have to do is press F11 and it pulls up the recovery data from D drive. So the non-working cd-rom drive was a non-issue for recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom