Unable to Change Profiles to Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see there was some activity on the topic while I was away for the weekend. But I need to have some confusion cleared up:

"Changing the file ext. from a ntuser.dat to a ntuser.man will make it a manditory profile witch means the user can change the settings but the settings will not be saved when the user logs off."

If I understand this correctly, if I change the extension, this will make it a roaming profile.
But what does "unsaved changes" include? Documents and programs, or just little things like wallpapers, screen savers, and mouse pointers?

Also, another important question. How much Hard Drive space should we set aside for profile storage on the server? We will have close to 800 roaming profiles (Teachers and High School Students). Is 124GB sufficient? Common sense tells me 'yes.'

I had this problem and found out the in 2003 server all shared folders have only read. In 2000, the shared folders are read and change.
On your shared folder for the profiles change the sharing permissions to change (for security add domain users and give them the change and remove everyone). Then go to AD users and computer. Go to where your users are and hightlight them all.
Then right click; go to properties to the profile tab. Enter the \\server name\shared folder\%username%. this will allow the users to get a folder for the roaming profiles.

Changing the file .ext will not make it roaming it will only change the profile type as in .dat(changes are saved when user logs off) .man(does not save changes when user logs off).Making the profile a roaming one is that the profile is saved in a shared folder on a server were the user pulls the profile when the user logs in.124 GB might make it but remember that some people like to save a lot of documents and files in the my documents folder and can get large quikly.

NeoExtreme said:
but remember that some people like to save a lot of documents and files in the my documents folder and can get large quikly.

Make sure you enable disk quotas. I worked ont he help desk at my high school, but the year before I got there some people found out of to make Napster work and in turn there were SEVERAL students with numerous amounts of gigabytes of MP3's on the server. So the admin did some locking down, and limited all the students to 6 mb. If they needed more, they would get it. But not until a slight investigation into why they needed more. Dont use only 6mb, thats ridiculous. But do quota people, you will end up regretting it if you dont.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
And New Age Outlaw, I did the %username% profile change, and that looks like it took effect properly.
Here's the network path to the share, just in case anyone will be able to notice anything I may need to do.

F:\FShare\Users\Faculty
F:\FShare\Users\Students

I was able to figure out the difference between the manditory profiles and regular roaming, too. I don't need manditory profiles. However, I will look into Disk Quotas. As a matter of fact, I may have already done it in Group Policy; isn't that where it's located?

Just checked it: UserConfiguration/AdministrativeTemplates/System/UserProfiles
Enable "Limit Profile Size" and I limited to 6000kb.

Glad that tip helped you out. :) I know I was racking my brain on that one for a few days before I got it figured out lol.

HAHA! You did the 6 mb. Nice. It will run short soon though, and lots and lots of people will complain when they hit that quota so easily. You just cant please everyone, unfortunately. Quota the students, but not the teachers. Just make sure you tell them what is at stake if they misuse the network and storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom