Unable to Change Profiles to Roaming Profiles - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Unable to Change Profiles to Roaming Profiles

It seems like my questions never end. We are going to make a slight overhaul of our Active Directory Users and how they are managed.

My subject pretty much explains it. I'm trying to create a roaming profile. I've followed instructions verbatim (creating account, login,logout, logging back in as local administrator), but when I enter the User Profile list, "Roaming Profile" is grayed out. Any ideas?

Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

*bump*

Old 04-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I've never heard of this particular problem, however, how many acounts are on the computer?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

I remember trying to figure out this same problem back in high school. I asked my network admin, and he said thata he has never seen that button not grayed out. If you make the profile within AD it is automatically roaming. Also what you can do is change ntuser.man to ntuser.dat ntuser being the name of the account in question.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

"Also what you can do is change ntuser.man to ntuser.dat ntuser being the name of the account in question."

Where do you go to change that?
Old 04-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well first you have to start off with creating a shared folder for the profiles on the server"note the users for the shared folder has to have full control permission on the shared folder so the profiles can be updated.".Then on the exsisting account you go to profiles and select copy to and enter the shared folder path. In AD right-click properties and chose profiles and enter the path<\\server\sharedfolder\username>.If you are doing for a new account, just enter in the profiles path <\\server\sharedfolder\%username%> the % will allow it to auto populate the profile. ntuser.dat is created with a new account log in,you would have to change to a .man if you wish for it to be manditory.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Changing that extension is for changing a local account to roaming when you dont have AD setup right? Thats what I was ;led to believe. And I havent answered your other question because I honestly cannot remember where that is located.

When you set up users using AD, arent they automatically created as roaming?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

No, user accounts set up in AD are not raoming by default you would have to configure it that way.Changing the file ext. from a ntuser.dat to a ntuser.man will make it a manditory profile witch means the user can change the settings but the settings will not be saved when the user logs off.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Excellent to know. Honestly though, I've set up AD before and they have been roaming automatically.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

The porpose of roaming is a user, within a domain tree,can log into any computer and all of that users' settings will be there.2003 server AD does not do this default, because roaming profiles use up disk space on servers.The roaming profile does not sit on the local machine it sits on the server or specified location.