Unable to access windows (0x0000007E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdampskiB

Solid State Member
Hey there, I'm new and in some desperate help.

I'm mending a friends computer and if I could sort this problem out without having to reformat that would be great, saves alot of hassle! (This is on his hard-drive placed in my PC, which Windows XP Home SP1 installed)

Basically, everytime windows loads weather its in any type of safe mode or just windows normally, it comes up with the blue screen and these bits of "Technical information":

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xBA2c8756, 0xBA4C342C, 0xBA4C3128)

Previously before it was 0x000000025 and did some research and it suggested it was the display adapters which needed reinstalling. But I couldnt access windows! So in windows reccovery console i did: chkdsk /r or something like that anyway. And now its 0x0000007E, but again, still suggesting its display adapters.

Any ideas, conisdering I can't even get into windows?
Much appreciated,
Adam

If you have the operating system disk I would just back up any important information and either do a repair installation or a format and fresh install.

Edit: Try the repair installation first.

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000007E. This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.

Run MemTest86+.

Ive run fixboot in recovery console but hasnt worked. The list when i type "help" doesnt look relevant to what I'm aiming for?

And just did a quick google on memtest86, something about my RAM? I doubt its RAM because this issue happened on my friends PC aswell with his hard-drive in my PC. chances my ram having same problem as his is small, and my windows boots up fine so yeah.

Did you even bother to read what i posted? The 2nd last line.

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.

That IS a RAM issue. You dont get a Memory Access Violation if you are not accessing the Memory. Simple as that. Your Windows and his Windows can boot up fine. All that says is that the boot files are good. But getting the error that you posted is in regards to a Memory Access. That is fully and 110% a RAM Related issue. Dont believe me. Take a look at the 2 topics i created:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

The 2nd one at the bottom of the very first post i give a link to the very same MSDN Site that i have posted in my previous article and it will give you teh same exact information. Directly from Microsoft themselves.

The chances that his Hard Drive working in your system with Bad RAM is about 0%. The chances that both of you have BAD RAM is at least 75%. RAM is just like any other piece of hardware. They can be faulty right from the factory.

If this error happens often, swap out the RAM for some known good sticks.

Then if the BSOD's stop, youll know it was the ram, if they continue then you know its something else.

Well I'm sorry then, it's just I don't know much and wanted to some help and I'm appreciating this.
I ran the memtest and no errors were found. What to do now?

How long did you let it run? You should run it for at least a minimum of 4 hours usually...overnight is better.

Well I let it make 1 pass, so that was roughly about 2 hours or so?
There were options along the bottom labelled "configure" and stuff like that, do I need to alter anything or just wack the floppy in and let it do its thing for a few hours?

I'll run it again but for the majority of the day instead this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom