UEIF SecureBoot disable issues

ouchmycomputerbroke

Beta member
While disabling UEIF SecureBoot to run some new software, upon restarting, my perfectly healthy computer has crapped out. It says "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
I have opened up my computer, removed and put back my hard drive, nothing has happened, it doesn't recognize it. Any solution to this problem?

Did you disable both UEFI & Secure Boot? or just Secure Boot? What OS are you running? What motherboard brand and/or BIOS brand?

What is your harddrive partitioned as MBR?

Here is some advise if I am right about the partition..

O said:
Many PCs now include the ability to use the UEFI version of BIOS, which can speed up boot and shutdown times and can provide additional security advantages. To boot your PC in UEFI mode, you'll need to use a drive formatted using the GPT drive format.
Many PCs are ready to use UEFI, but include a compatibility support module (CSM) that is set up to use the legacy version of BIOS. This version of BIOS was developed in the 1970s and provides compatibility to a variety of older equipment and network configurations, and requires a drive that uses the MBR drive format.
However, the basic MBR drive format does not support drives over 4TB. It's also difficult to set up more than four partitions. The GPT drive format lets you set up drives that are larger than 4 terabytes (TB), and lets you easily set up as many partitions as you need.

Last edited:
I went into boot settings and switched it from secureboot to legacy, windows 10

Do you not have 2 separate options for Secure Boot to be enabled/disabled and another option for boot mode? The problem is that you switched it to Legacy - and your Win10 install is most likely GPT formatted, which will cause it to not boot.

So you'll either need to switch it to UEFI again and see if you have separate options for SecureBoot/boot mode, or hopefully you have a Win10 install disc/flash drive so that you can rewrite the bootloader to use MBR instead of GPT.

Also, you didn't answer my question about what motherboard you have (if it's a custom built system), or what model of computer you have if it's prebuilt. If you don't know, then the brand of the BIOS may also help.

Back
Top Bottom