Ubuntu and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
So I want to dual boot on my laptop since I ordered a new hard drive for it. A problem arose when I tried to re-install Vista HP which I'm currently working on resolving. So I was wondering if I could install Ubuntu first on one hard drive, and when my other hard drive arrives, install Vista HP on that, after Ubuntu is already installed. Will any problems arise or should everything go smoothly? Thanks.

Hmm, I guess I didn't think about going into the BIOS to have to change which hdd I wanted to boot from. What do you suggest I should do? Install them on seperate hdds or install on one, and then just partition between the two hdds?

Kinda depends on what you wanna do. I like how my laptop is setup: Vista, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu in a triple boot. I use Ubuntu's GRUB loader to select what OS I wanna boot too. My desktop has a similar arrangement...but my XP (main OS) is on its own HDD, and Vista/Ubuntu are on their own drive. So if I wanna boot into Vista or Ubuntu, I have to first go into the boot menu and select the right drive, then go through GRUB to pick which OS I wanna boot into. I'd say partitioning would be easier, unless you're strapped for space.

Well I have a 160GB hdd in it right now, and I just ordered a 320GB hdd. And saying that you use Ubuntu's GRUB loader means you had Vista installed first correct?

Well it doesn't matter which order you install them in, because you can add either to the GRUB menu whenever. I had to manually add Kubuntu on my laptop to Ubuntu's GRUB loader. There's a guide for each way to do it, whether you install Vista or Ubuntu first. I had Vista installed first because it was a store-bought laptop, and added in Ubuntu/Kubuntu later on. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom