Is this type of remote access possible? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Is this type of remote access possible?

ok well in my house i have a wireless router witha few machines that connect to it for internet and networking etc.. however my computer is on 24/7 and id like to be able to access it remotely via the web from other locations such as college etc.. and be able to transfer files from my pc to the other. Thing is i can have a small server software running on my pc thats fine but i need a way so that the other pc wont have to have any client side software installed. I tried some free DNS server thing but i couldnt get it to work, im not that experienced in this kinda of stuff. Any suggestions?

EDIT as i said im using a router/modem and i have a static IP

Old 09-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Is this type of remote access possible?

If you are using windows you can use remote desktop. To tranfer files install a FTP server. Use No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP to have a domain like Probably you'll have to port forward your router to the computer you are using.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

IF you have a static IP, you don't need to use DNS unless you want something nicer than an IP to enter.

Since you're behind a router (which I"m assuming is running NAT), you're going to need to port forward to a pc to get anything through. The downside of that is you can only forward the port to 1 pc.

For remote desktopping, I would just use windows remote desktop (mstsc.exe). It uses port 3389/TCP.
Then to access your pc, fire up remote desktop whever and enter your static IP for the computer.

For file access to the other pc's, just fire up FTP. You'll need your windows cd (this works on server 2003/2l and xp/2k). Go into add/remove programs. Choose windows components, and install IIS (make sure in details the box for FTP is checked).

Once this is done, you will be able to access your main pc via ftp://hostpcname in ie or windows explorer. The default FTP directory is c:\inetpub\ftproot

If you want to configure that differently, poke around a bit or search the MS site for how-tos.

Its a frigging Laptop, not a Labtop!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I tried no-ip but i get an error everytime, i forwarded port 80 so im lost.. and as for the remote desktop way can this be done over the internet? and also what do i need to do to get it to work, and.. what if the pc i use to connect to my PC at home isnt XPpro and dont have remote desktop?
any help on the no-ip or remote desktop thingwould be great help. for no-ip is it port 80 i need to forward?

EDIT** tried remote desktop, i forwarded the ports it said to on but still nothing, its all enabled in control panel>system>remote ???
Closed Thread