TWO Networks...No Connectivity w/o tweaks...ALMOST Solved...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
folks...

I had intermittant connectivity to the internet. I went thru 2 new PC's & 2 modems from verizon to no avail. I did all the ipconfig & DNS release & renew stuff, also to no avail.

When I had NO connectivity, the network icon in the task area was showing 2 Networks. When I rebooted (sometimes as many as 5 times)...& was finally connected, that icon showed only 1 Network.

Today, a smart verizon tech figured it out (but I still need some OS help). He walked me thru the deletion of my Public Network. When that occured, BOTH Networks were gone. Then we re-enabled the Home Network; & it worked...I was instantly able to get online.

BUT...when I rebooted, the same problem reoccured...TWO Networks again.

So he asked me what I did when I first powered up the computer, in the original Network Setup dialog. When he asked that question, I remembered that I DID in fact choose a Public Network. He said, ah-ha...I should have chosen the Home Network. He said that when I reboot, the machine looks for the Public Network, because of my original choice; & that it was being confused & combining the two...(which is alsso why both Networks disappear when I disabled only the Public Network).

So now...I'm really close to solving this problem...the only thing left to be done is to UNDO that original selection...please, HOW IS THIS ACCOMPLISHED...???

thanx,

mark4man
Windows 7 Pro

btw - I've already tried going to Network Sharing Center & redefining the network as Home, but that didn't work. somehow, I have to undo whatever setting is causing Win7 to look for the public network as default, get confused; & load both networks...thanx.

Easy killer, first when you saw the 2 networks, did one of them ask permission to be your default connection ?
I think windows 7 firewall should have asked you do you want this network to be home or public, give connection one home by default and delete the other.
Also make sure your computers can be routed onto one network.
Why do you need 2 modems I don't get, but if use one dsl or cable modem and a do a basic wireless home network it should work out better for you.

Why do you need 2 modems I don't get, but if use one dsl or cable modem and a do a basic wireless home network it should work out better for you.

He's not using 2 of them, he means he had replaced one of them and is using a new replacement.

Check your registry, how many profiles do you have under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles?
Inside the profile folder there is a Category entry that determines the location of that connection. A value of 1 is for the home network and 0 is public (3 is work).

Lets see if that solves your problem. (If you have a redundant profile, you might be able to get rid of it altogether)

ReikokuKo...

Check your registry, how many profiles do you have under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles?
ONE

Inside the profile folder there is a Category entry that determines the location of that connection. A value of 1 is for the home network and 0 is public (3 is work)
The category value is (1)...

but I went to the registry AFTER did the following:

http://www.moonjams.com/fw.jpg

the 'public profile' had also been been set to ON (in addition to the 'private profile')

1) would that have caused the problem...???

2) did I do the right thing...???

thanx,

mark4man

Hmmm. I don't really see any harm coming from settings in that window. How many network adapters show up on your adapter list?
Let me dig a little more through the registry for settings.

SOLVED...!!!

1st...I reset my Windows Firewall to default...(have no idea why I did this, other than I suspected it was a major part of the problem & was groping for answers)

2) when I did this...next time I fired up the PC...a message came up from Windows Firewall asking me about EPSON EVENT MANAGER...that it was attempting to connect to a *PUBLIC* network.

3) rather that attempt to go about changing the network settings for this 'EPSON EVENT MANAGER'...I simply went into msconfig & removed it from the Startup Item list

PROBLEM GONE...now when I boot up, I have instant connectivity...to ONE network...!!!

thanx for all the help,

mark4man

never mind...

it worked twice & then reverted back to the old problem

I'm really frustrrated w/ this, man...!!!

thanx,

mf

folks...

I had intermittant connectivity to the internet. I went thru 2 new PC's & 2 modems from verizon to no avail. I did all the ipconfig & DNS release & renew stuff, also to no avail.
Just to clarify, is this problem happening on any computer you try to connect to your internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom