Turning your computer off each night and when not in use...

frldyz

In Runtime
Who here turns their computer off when not in use?

I've read from multiple articles and many videos ( linus being the most credible ) recommending and saying its ok to turn your computer off when not in use.
Reduces heat and potential wear and tear. The other thought is though everytime you turn your computer on your wearing on the parts as well.

Personally I turn mine off everytime I walk away. It literaly take 4 sec. to shutdown and 6 sec. to turn on.

I shut my laptop down every night - when I had my desktop running as my primary system, I left it running 24/7 unless there was a storm coming.

IMO, really up to you if you want to shut it down or leave it running. As long as the components are kept cool, you won't be getting that much more life out of them unless something is actually wrong with one of the components...and even then, continually powering down/turning on could cause issues as well.

Every time you walk away seems a bit over the top.

I leave mine on 24/7 unless there a bad electrical storm
Some advantages:
If you use a platter drive, Windows 7/8 will defrag in the middle of the night when your not using your pc, also many antivirus programs are set to update and run then too. Also Microsoft's default update time is often at 3:00 am
I'm not saying you must leave it on 24/7 like I do, but leaving it on once in a while to do scheduled tasks certainly doesn't hurt

Shutting down your computer constantly, is probably not a good idea.

I turn my computer off every night, because it clears the RAM. I know this can be done other ways, but it is the most simple way to do it.

I think that computer manufacturers would recommend shutting down the computer, at least, once in a while.

Turning a computer off nightly is better than leaving it on 24/7...

Long story short...
A 10 year old computer, on 24/7, was powered down one day, never turned off before. It never came back to life.
Another 10 year old computer that had frequent power cycles on a daily basis still worked just fine.

That scenario there is more common than you think, it's why OLD equipment (routers, switches, servers) that have been on for years and years never get rebooted due to the fear that it wont come back on due to it's age.

Ive always just put all my equipment to sleep when I wasn't using them. Ive never had an issue with it. But, now that I have a laptop with a SSD drive, it takes just as long to shut it down, as it does to put it to sleep. :p

I really often asked this question. They say, and nothing serious is that we often turn off, or let it be included?

And my answer is this: if you leave your computer for a few minutes, or even hours, it is best to put it in sleep mode, or he will fall asleep after a while. With regard to off for the night, then you need to switch off, I think it useless buzz all night to you by the ear. and even more so, try to work on the computer a day or two without having to reboot, but it will also be so hard blunt that it would be difficult to have to do something, it is to know yourself.

Speaking separately about laptops, the situation is slightly different. If an ordinary desktop computer is in the room where you relax, then perhaps it would be difficult not to turn it off at night because, compared with laptops they make more noise, and the rest you probably will not succeed. By myself I know when the computer is switched off, it becomes much easier.

The notebook can also leave for the night, he falls asleep himself quietly and wait for when you wake him. But do not leave your computer on battery power, connect it to the network. Of course, this is not much abuse, which would then not go shopping or look for parts for laptops sony, and that anything can happen :).

But the on / off is not necessary to abuse. All the equipment, not just a computer, do not like to be turned on or off, usually occur when turned on and all damage. So the computer is better to work an extra hour safely than start anew.

Well, of course, keep your computer turned on for weeks, it is also not necessary, this is not the server that run for months.

And most importantly, if you have shut down your computer, do it correctly and not by pulling the plug out of the socket, and then your computer will work long and stably. Good luck!

It's best to turn it off.

If you're going to be carrying a laptop around, turn it off and don't just put it to sleep, when a laptop is put into sleep mode it doesn't move the head away from the platter on the HDD, the vibrations are enough to cause a clash.

It's best to turn it off.

If you're going to be carrying a laptop around, turn it off and don't just put it to sleep, when a laptop is put into sleep mode it doesn't move the head away from the platter on the HDD, the vibrations are enough to cause a clash.
Just another good reason to switch to an SSD :p.

Back
Top Bottom