Trying to upgrade to Vista 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I did that, and I still get an error saying "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now." I've tried downloading the latest driver via the Asus website, but when I try installing it, I get the message "FW is already latest."

So what do I do?

Check your BIOS. There has to be something in there that will allow you to boot from DVD. If not the drive could be bad and you need a new one.

It boots just fine. I select the Language, Time settings, Keyboard or input method and hit the next button. Then I click on the "Install Now" button and thats when I get the error message reading, "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

From the link you provided earlier, it sounds like that is when I am supposed to input the Product Key, but I never get to that point.

From a very quick good search (you might want to read up i just searched and thats it), it looks like your drive may not be compatible with vista. I have 2 CD drives as home that i would love to use (either one) but vista doesn't pick them up for some retarded reason and theres no support for them after XP.

Look around on google, there might be a Firmware update, otherwise you need a new drive.

Sorry for the double post but i fixed my problem with my cd drive. It turned out to be a driver that is installed with a few products (one of which Itunes). Theres a regestry key that was pointing to a missing .dll which was preventing cdrom.sys from being installed without installing the missing driver.

Here: XP CD-ROM drivers corrupt? - SillyDog701 Message Centre

Follow Erdiko's advice if it applies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom