Trying to reinstall windows in order to format hdd, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dvd drive is the master. How do I change the optical drive. I'm looking around in the bios right now. I can see how I change the boot sequence, but I can't see how I make it switch from the cd to the dvd drive. The dvd drive is not listed in the boot sequence.

Google showed me this: How to boot from DVD? [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums

I have an xps and have the exact same problem. No one there was able to answer it either.

Since I could not figure out how to change it to boot from a dvd drive, I turned to the bartpe method. These instructions say I am good to go if I have now errors: Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
I did have one warning, so I hope it doesn't screw anything up.

I can't edit that post anymore, but, when I went on the dell forums, they did not tell me how to change the optical drive the pc boots from, but they told me that the master drive was the one farthest from the motherboard, and the one closest was the slave. That is the opposite of what you told me, so I don't really know.

Btw, I couldn't find windows file explorer with BartPE.

Well everytime i have done it i have used the connection closest and that has always been the master for me. But i am not the hardware genuis.

Check the BartPE site for information on how to use it. I dont use it enough to know.

Is it possible that you could have the one farthest as the master while still using CS?

No. My settings i dot use the CS option. I have the drive closest with the Master Jumper set and the one furthest away with the slave jumper settings and my drives work just fine.

I have even reset them to read CS and they are still read the same as before. The DVD ROM drive is master and the DVD DL Burner is slave. Just like how i had it with the Master Slave settings.

So my Dell works the way i posted. Cause this is a Dimension 8400 that i am working on. Like i said i am not the hardware master. But i have built at least 12 machines in the last year and they all seem to work this way as well.

So maybe it is just me. I cant say. I just know what works for me.

Assuming those computers you built were for other people, I'm curious as to know why you are using a dell if you build pcs yourself anyway. Is it an old one?

I'll try to find out how to use bart pe.

Yes they were built for other people. Family and friends. I have a Dell cause i didnt have the cash on hand or upfront to build my own machine. Being a family man and all that really takes a chunck out of your luxury spending.

I have no problems with my Dell. It is a Dimension 8400 that i have modified and it has run great for me since i bought it back in 04.

Well,that is good that you put family before pc. I would think I am just being dumb and my dell is fine, but I found a dude with the exact same problem, so I'm going to have to figure out how to work bartpe somehow or make some other sort of bootable xp disc since I can't figure out how to change the optical drive that my pc boots from.

did you try hitting f12 upon booting to boot to the dvd. or control and f11 to restore the computer to store bought condition?

it doesn't matter if the bios say boot cd. it will still boot to dvd if you have a dvd rom

It won't boot the dvd. I've tried f12. I've not tried ff11. Will that wipe everything except what was on it when I got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom