Trying to reinstall windows in order to format hdd, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
I read some guides that tell you to go into your bios when your pc starts up and make sure the cd-rom drive is listed before the hdd in the boot sequence. I did this, but it turns out my reinstallation disc is a dvd. Therefore, it didn't work in the cd-rom drive. I then put it in the dvd rom drive and tryed to get it to detect it first that way, but that didnt work either becase the dvd-rom drive isn't even listed in the boot sequence devices. I'm positive the dvd-rom drive doesn't count under the usb/cd-rom choice as I went into boot setup and tried to make it boot from there, and that did not work. What do I do?

If you mean, boot setup, I tried doing that and dvd isn't on their either, it is only cd and the other things.

Each PC has its own BIOS key. Could be the Del, F2, F10, Alt or a combination of buttons. It says right on screen as your BIOS screen is up what button is used to enter setup.

Also the Function key used to select boot devices is F12. ;)

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-install-xp-without-xp-cd-156805/

Looks like the same thing we have in our Windows Sticky Index...

I would think that your DVD Drive isnt bootable cause it is set to slave to the CD ROM. Technically DVD Drives should be the master. Eery time i read a manual for install of a DVD Drive it says to set that as the Master device....

But that will be your best option.

How do I get a BartPE Cd or ERD Commander 2005 cd?

Would it be possible to make the dvd drive the master drive and then just use the recovery disc?

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

BartPE. ERDCommander you have to use Google to find a download for it. Unless you buy ERDCommander 2008 which is available somewhere.

Google produced these results.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-0554-4595-8ab4-c34b2860e087&DisplayLang=en
SIW | Winternals ERD Commander

I dont know if you could make the DVD Drive master. That depends on your system. I dont know if that would fix your issue or not. I dont even know if the XP DVD you have is bootable.

I watched the video in the topic you showed me, but I don't see how he formatted the computer. I see how he had a fresh desktop at the end, but I'm assuming that windows wasn't installed in the first place since I didn't see a format. I mean, I saw him delete the docs, program files, and windows, but I did not see the free disc space increase. If I do it this way, I don't have to worry about drivers because you don't delete the drivers folder?

Oh yeah, I put those drivers on a disc like the topic said, but I don't see an exe or anything to install them with. idk

You really need to go into the Read First topic and read thru some of the stuff we have there.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/tired-losing-drivers-when-you-reinstall-xp-168321/

That topic will be of use. To install drivers with that. Use the Hardware Wizard and point it to that folder.

I dont know if he formatted the PC or not in that video. I didnt create it. Ask in that topic.

Tell me this isnt the Recovery CD that came with the PC. Please. Cause all you have to do is insert that into your CD ROM drive and boot from it. Follow the guide i linked you to before. It has the option for format right in the setup process.

By any chance did you try to go thru the setup process yet? I mean the process isnt that hard. The CD walks you right thru it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom