Trying to install XP on new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how would i go about redoing everything. I want to install xp pro now. I assume if i click install rather than update ill go through the whole setup again i will get to that partition screen again, but will it allow me to add a partition this time?

Boot off of the XP Pro CD and start your install. Make a partition of any size that you want and do the install. Once the install is complete and your in Windows, you can use a tool that is apart of XP to partition the rest of the space however you want.

Chris_PC said:
So how would i go about redoing everything. I want to install xp pro now. I assume if i click install rather than update ill go through the whole setup again i will get to that partition screen again, but will it allow me to add a partition this time?

just use the xp pro cd. delete the 1 partition and create 2 or more new ones

Image7.gif

when i was going through the xp home install for the second time i was unable to add a partition, If i remove the 1st partition then it gives loads of warnings etc and thats when i first ran into this trouble. Should i just ignore all of these warnings?

Will i be able to boot of the xp pro CD if ive already got home installed, is it ok to go through the install process after home is installed because for some reason im unable to boot from my xp pro cd but i can install it.

(PS: i want 3 partitions, 50GB for the OS and a cupple of other lil things, 50GB for games and the rest for other crap)

Chris_PC said:
when i was going through the xp home install for the second time i was unable to add a partition, If i remove the 1st partition then it gives loads of warnings etc and thats when i first ran into this trouble. Should i just ignore all of these warnings?

yes. hit d for delete. then you will get a bunch of babble, then hit enter. more babble, hit L.

now hit c to create new partition in unpartitioned space, you will see the the whole hdd numbers in mb. type something like 50,888 for a 50 gig partition over those numbers. do this again and again until you are done

just finished installing xp home but now i cant boot at all. ive tried booting from the hdd and cd but i always get some error. eg if i try and boot from the hdd it sais windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem

The problem is i cant actualy get onto windows, even if i try and boot off the CD, therefore i can't do any of the things suggested.

EDIT: Ive managed to find a download of the hard drive diagnostic tool that lets the computer boot to the diagnostics CD, ill try that.

If i remove the hard drive, and then try and boot from the CD it works fine.
The diagnostics toll just says boot disk failure, insert system disk and press enter.
Shall i boot with the xp CD and then plug in the hard drive before the partition screen thing comes up?

Ive managed to boot the diagnostic tool from a floppy and ive now decided to select the write zeros to drive option so i can start-over.
I may also set the jumpers to make it revert back to the old sata speeds(150MB/s) and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom