trying to install windows XP on the 44GB partition of Thinkpad Edge 15(pre inst win7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nailimexam

Beta member
Hi,

I would like to install windows XP on the 44GB partition I made, and have a dual boot system.
But I am having trouble installing Windows XP (SP2).

At first, I just got a blue screen after the disk attempted loading files. Then, I slipstreamed the SATA driver for XP for the EDGE 15 onto the XP installation Disk (There were three .inf files in the driver folder, I only slipstreamed the first one in the "{app}" folder).

This seemed to get me past the problem. I was able to format the 44GB partition the disk began installing. Then the computer restarted to finish the installation.
However, during the XP installation, I got a hang up at 33mins. After repeated tries, I get this hang up every time.

I tried disabling as many unnecessary devices in the Bios as I could, but I still get the same hang up.

I tried to find the problem by opening the command prompt and typing setupapi.log (in D:\Windows, it wouldn't let me get into C: or F: (the 44gb partition))
However, the last entry in the log was "completed successfully". (The guide I followed using "setupapi.log" was for the 34 min hang up. Since mine is 33min maybe its a completely different problem).

Should I try to slipstream all the drivers onto XP installation disk?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

try to determine if the problem is the cd or the physical hardware. can you try the cd in another physical machine? can you install it in a virtual machine?

are you or have you tried using nlite to create the slipstream cd? its a gui app that is wizard based to create slipstream cds. very easy to use.

run chkdsk on the hard drive?

I would use nlite to Slipstream all the SATA drivers onto the disk. You might be able to get the drive recognized with the one you used, but it could be the same thing that is causing the system to freeze when trying to install the OS at the stage it freezes at.

Thank you for suggestions

I am using nlite.

There are three .inf files in the SATA driver folder. Should I insert each of these files separately, selecting "single driver" (during the nlite wizard) or should I select "multiple driver folder"?

Also, under the Hard Drive tab of the Lenovo Drivers page for my laptop, there is another driver called:
Intel Management Engine Interface driver

Should I try to slipstream that as well?

Also, Is it possible I need a driver for a device other than the Hard Drive? There apear to be over 100 drivers for xp for my laptop, and I am not excited to slipstream them all.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom