trying to install ms-dos game, using dosbox not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
I'm on vista and tried using vmware with xp os, both failed to load the game properly. I used dosbox to try and load, and it loads like the install screen and says start game or exit installer, I click start game and the screen goes black, when I try to open the game through explorer, I get this error message at the same time when the screen goes black.

"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:\Dragonlore\DRAGON.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:05f8 IP:002d OP:63 9b e8 cf 18"

I don't expect anyone to understand this, but why can I get the dang game to work in dosbox..

Try this:

I tryed to run the program in many ways and the only one that worked is this - MAKE A .BAT FILE AND RUN THE PROGRAM WITH A SHORTCUT TO THIS .BAT FILE.
If you don't know what is this, ask someone older than you.
Open Notepad.exe, put this lines in it:

@echo off
cd\
cd c:\dir\subdir\
program.exe

and save the file with ".bat" extention. The "dir", "subdir", "program.exe" is just for exemple.
Put this file in the "C:\" and make a shortcut on the desktop. In Properties, set Full Screen. This will work and the error is history. BUT....
The program I have is crashing often; maybe you will be more lucky ;)
If anyone knows more about this, please tell me why programs "Fox Pro for DOS" based are crashing on multicore CPU's when reindexing the databases? The Task manager shows the NT Virtual DOS Machine (ntvdm.exe) running at 45%-50% of CPU time, and it stops only if I End the DOS program in task manager when it crashed.
I this it's something related with the settings, buffers, files, etc. I use FILES=150.

Found it here. There are more results on Bing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom