trying to help my father with his pc, and I have ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, got ya. However, a format is not always the solution. As far as saying his uncle did something, your right... we dont know. No one bothered to try and find out what it was, however since it worked in safe mode that more than likely means a driver issue or a nixed program. There was also no asking of what the BSOD contained. IPF or GPF knowledge would of helped out alot. Just I hate seeing ffr's thrown around when it could be something much easier AND he will get better knowledge of the workings of an o/s. So no, I dont think just throwing a format at someone without finding what is the cause is much help especially when not many questions are asked. My opinion, though.

This is my final post in this thread, unless Dav536 need's help.
I recommend format alot (not a bussiness) on win 98. one of the reasons is that it is one of the few things in this life that you can make new again by just spending a little time. I appreciate the knowledge I have gained from you, killians45. I was just trying to help, and made a judgement call in this post. I do not always get on the bandwagon and say format. this is my opinion

Hitsuji said:
get a boot floppy with partition magic 8, resize the primary partion. install win 2000. boot into that. backup your files. wipe the partitions and reinstall from scratch

That seems pretty excessive. He can just boot to dos with a startup diskette, or slave his drive, or just do an OS overlay installation.

killians45 I see what you're saying and I'm the same way. When there's a problem I try to fix it until it's fixed (one way or another) or ask for help if I can't figure it out. Dav536 is pretty new to OS/ software troubleshooting, he might not be interested in finding the cause. Maybe he just wants to get it fixed.

ekÆsine said:
That seems pretty excessive. He can just boot to dos with a startup diskette, or slave his drive, or just do an OS overlay installation.

killians45 I see what you're saying and I'm the same way. When there's a problem I try to fix it until it's fixed (one way or another) or ask for help if I can't figure it out. Dav536 is pretty new to OS/ software troubleshooting, he might not be interested in finding the cause. Maybe he just wants to get it fixed.

I lied-I did not know this was going to happen. thank you moderator for seeing one side and not the other, derrmc

try this following steps ..

log on to safe mode with comand prompt.

type teh following command
c:\windows\command
then type
cd scanreg /restore .
choose a date and restore ,reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom