Trying to get rid of vista (home basic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawaiian style

In Runtime
Bought a laptop (lenovo) and it came with vista. I want it out.

NOTE: I do not have blank CDs available to me. Isolated location, nearest walmart is 53miles away...

I tried external hard drives, flash drives, and my actual windows xp pro. cd but it does not want to cooperate with me.

I boot from CD and I get to the blue screen where it says windows is loading all the files/drivers and what not. Then when it says windows "Setup is starting Windows"... then I get this blue screen of death style message.

Pic:
majhost.com Gallery

" A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen (not 1st time...), restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Picture:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/hawaiian/TC/p5130015.jpg

Any answers would be most appreciated

Thank you very much.

IMO Vista isn't that bad...but not going to start one of those discussions up.

Anyway to your problem at hand...

It's most likely not detecting the SATA drive and BSOD'ing on you. You'll need to either: turn off SATA mode in the BIOS (if you even can do this; a lot of the times you can't), or slipstream SATA drivers onto a new XP disc.

STOP 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows XP was unable to locate the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. This problem may occur after repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading a disk controller and its drivers. In that case, entries in the Boot.ini file no longer point to the correct partitions. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is configured properly. Then start your system with the Windows XP CD, log on to the Recovery Console, and use the Bootcfg command to scan for available Windows installations and repair the Boot.ini file automatically.

Taken right from this thread:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

the drive is more than likely SATA and XP doesn't have SATA Drivers on it disk by default. You need to locate them and either use the F6 for 3rd party driver install or slipstream them with nlite.

So Mak, when I boot from the disk and the blue windows start up screen starts should I press the f6 to install the 3rd party drivers?

If not, is there a tutorial for slipstreaming onto a bootdisk?
Sorry for all the request...

Does IBM even offer xp drivers for their newer laptops, I was under the impression Dell was the only one still making drivers for xp

Does IBM even offer xp drivers for their newer laptops, I was under the impression Dell was the only one still making drivers for xp
This may very well be true. It is something that has to be researched first before anything else can be done.
So Mak, when I boot from the disk and the blue windows start up screen starts should I press the f6 to install the 3rd party drivers?

If not, is there a tutorial for slipstreaming onto a bootdisk?
Sorry for all the request...

You would put the drivers on a USB Thumg Drive or a Floppy then use the F6 method. If not check nlite's site.

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide

They have a full 3 page tutorial.

If hp does not have the xp sata driver online, the trick is to figure out who and what sata controller card is being used. (if you cannot turn off sata mode in bios)

Most likely it will be an intel controller card.

Get the driver from the manufacturer of the card.
Lots of times it is a exe file and you need the extract the inf file from the exe.

Once you have the inf file you can slipstream it as others have mentioned.

What is the exact model of your laptop?

It can be done but it can be a pain.

Product: 3000 G530 4446-23U
Operating system: Windows Vista

Original description: T3400(2.16GHz), 2GB RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1280x800 LCD, Intel 4500M, CDRW/DVDRW, Broadcom 802.11bg wireless, Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, Touchpad, Camera, 6c Li-Ion, WinVista Home Basic 32

If I open up my laptop will I be able to see what kind of sata drive it is an be able to find the correct XP driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom