Trying to dual-boot XP/Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
So I had XP installed, and reformated and installed Vista. Games were kinda laggy so I decided to install XP and my games on my Raptor and use Vista for everything else.

I unplugged my Vista drive while doing that so that I didn't mess anything up. Apparently I shouldn't have, according to a few guides.

So my question now is, how do I make the Vista boot loader load XP without reformating anything again?

I've tried programs like EasyBCD and VistaBoot Pro and they didn't help any. I can add an entry but it just says I'm missing hal.dll from <windows root>\system32 or something...

It is not accessing the right path to load XP.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

When using EasyBCD I only have the option to select C:\, but XP is installed to E:\.

I know this part is in the Wiki as well. Under teh NTLDR is missing.

You have to copy over the NTLDR, NTDETECT and boot.ini files to the Vista drive and place them in the root of the drive.

Ok I did that, same problem.

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Is this correct? The XP install is on my Raptor (second drive) and on the only partition.

Double-check that multi() and disk() are both set to 0, and verify that rdisk(x)partition(y) points to the correct partition where Windows XP is installed.

My guess would be that the rdisk would be 2 and partition 0 since it is the 2nd drive with no partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom