Trouble signing onto my laptop; forgot password

doomspider

Solid State Member
I haven't signed on to my laptop that I bought from former co-worker of mine (really savvy with computers) in a few months and I've forgotten the password to log-in. There was no animosity between us after the purchase - he ended up quitting and getting a job elsewhere. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows 7 Professional. All though, as evidenced from the bottom of the laptop, he did upgrade the OS at one point from Windows Visa but I am not sure which edition it was. I downloaded the Password Reset Wizard via from my parents home computer on to a new/unused USB flash drive. I clicked on the appropriate drive, typed in a new password, typed it again to confirm and typed in the password hint. After doing all of that, this error message came up "An error occurred while the wizard was attempting to set the password for this user account." Did I do something wrong? And at this point, I am stumped. I haven't been able to get in touch with the former co-worker. Should I call Microsoft and ask for them to send me a Windows 7 disk, buy it online (saw the cheapest price on Newegg for $139.99) or should I try a Windows password recovery tool? If so, which one?

If there any other questions that you might have in order to assist me further, please ask.

Thank you in advance.

If you have the Win7 key you can just borrow a freinds disk and redo your windows install.
Else you'll have to go back to Vista, which dell came sende you a recovery disk using the service tag.

Hi there,

In addition..... If your laptop used to be a work-computer most likely it has Group Policy Objects (GPO) applied to it and will cause more trouble for you in the future which already happened, it's always best to do a format and clean install of the O/S of your choice. Best to use Windows 7 Pro or above versions.

Is it possible to download a software program on to the home computer (which I've been using) in order to download the Password Reset Wizard on to another USB flash drive so that it will possibly read that its for the laptop and not the home computer? If that's possible, what program should I check out? And if this doesn't work, why? Thanks again.

The Password Reset Wizard must be run on that machine and the USB Drive created with that machine. Doing it from another machine will not work and since you cant login, there is no way to run the Wizard anyways.

Back
Top Bottom