Trouble re-installing WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbury

Beta member
I've clicked on /SAFEBOOT in MSCONIG before formatting my computer, and once C:\ was formatted, the computer wouldn't load back to NORAML mode, it will only go to SAFE mode. The WinXp Disk wouldn't load in SAFE mode though, so how can I go back to NORMAL mode?

I've tried both F8 and DOS, but it wouldn't work, I wasn't able to go to C:\ in DOS, only A:\ and B:\ was available, can someone please help.

thanks in advance

That's strange that it doesn't work for you. The thing that controls all options of your boot is your boot.ini file.

You can find this in a couple of spots, but the easiest is to go into your system properties (right click on My Computer and go to Properties), click on the advanced tab, then click on Startup and Recovery.

Under the drop down box for default operating system should be a button to view your boot.ini.

It should look something like this
Code:
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=0
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Setup"

Except that it says WinXP.

Make sure that at the end of each line it has the /fastdetect switch and not /safeboot

Click save and you should be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom