Trouble Installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

victicom

Beta member
I own an ASUS G50VT Laptop from which I completely removed Windows Vista due to its performance. I use Linux.

Now I am trying to install Windows XP, but everytime I try to install it, it gives me a Stop Error: 0x00...7B. The famous blue screen...

I've read around a few places, finding nothing useful, yet, when I tried to install it in VirtualBox, it worked! Problem is: I want to dual boot with Linux, not log into Linux to start VirtualBox and then run Windows. It just seems more functional this way.

I read something about updating my BIOS, how is that possible... I'm sure it was somehow possible through the Windows Vista that the Laptop originally came with, but now that thats gone, how do I do it? Is it necessary.

I also read about changing some AHCI or SATA or something... no idea what they're talking about... I guess its just the frustation that is blocking my mind.

Can someone please help? I'll provide more information, if needed, as long as I'm told how to retrieve it.

Thanks,

VIC

Now, I read this in some sticky:

"* During Windows Setup* This type of STOP error is almost always caused by a faulty device driver, a piece of hardware that is in the process of failing, or an incompatible system BIOS. You may see a STOP error during Windows Setup if you attempt a clean install on a system that uses a high-speed disk controller whose drivers are not included with the Windows XP CD. To avoid encountering this STOP error, which occurs when Windows is suddenly unable to access the disk containing temporary Setup files, you must press F6 when prompted at the beginning of Setup and provide the correct drivers."

That seems to fit my description... however, how do I know which driver? Again, I don't have any Windows Partitions... except the one through the VirtualBox, so how can I verify what exactly IS causing the problem?

Thanks,

VIC

It might be necessary to update yoru BIOS. But you would have to do it through DOS now that Windows is gone. We cant give instructions cause we have no information about what mother board you have or BIOS you have.

ACHI is the controller for the SATA drive. You turn it off and set your SATA Drive to operate like an IDE Drive.

The error you are getting is this:

STOP 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows XP was unable to locate the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. This problem may occur after repartitioning disks, adding new disks, or upgrading a disk controller and its drivers. In that case, entries in the Boot.ini file no longer point to the correct partitions. If the error occurs after upgrading the disk controller, verify that the new hardware is configured properly. Then start your system with the Windows XP CD, log on to the Recovery Console, and use the Bootcfg command to scan for available Windows installations and repair the Boot.ini file automatically.

Do you have the drive partitioned so that you can install XP? If you have the drive fully setup for Linux then that is where your problem is. Having the drive fully formatted for Linux will give you this error cause Linux uses a different file system than Windows. So Windows is not detedting anyplace it can install to. Which from what i am reading is exactly your issue.

You will need to read teh GParted Tutorial and create some space to install XP to.

There was no need to update the BIOS, no need to install new drivers, and it did not matter that I had any Linux Partitions on it. Yeah, Linux does use a different File System, but that really does not matter during installation, unless you're trying to do something crazy, like installing Windows on an Ext4 File System...

What I did is I went to BIOS, and switched the SATA drive mode to "Compatible," instead of "Enhanced," or "RAID." That pretty much allowed me to install Windows XP. A new problem now is to find a driver for my Ethernet card... currently searching through Realteks website, as my Eternet card is an:
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

As soon as I fix that, I'll have other things to ready up, like getting my NASM, MASM, and GCC Compilers set up... that's not that big of a problem though.

If the drive was fully formatted to EXT4 then Windows would not see the drive at all cause it doesnt recognize that format at all. You said in your post you didnt have a partition setup for it. Which can easily be mistaken for you not having the drive ready for the Windows install.

So apparently you DID have a partition ready for XP so it could recognize the drive to install to.

The SATA mode thing, is pretty much what i described. Each BIOS is different. So your "compatible" mode instead of "Enhanced" is like my BIOS saying "IDE" and "ACHI". Again not knowing any information i cant help.

Did you check the motherboard manufacturer's site for the network drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom