Trouble Installing My Anti-virus Program - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Trouble Installing My Anti-virus Program

I'm trying to install my new anti-virus sofware (McAfee) but i'm being told it wont let me because of an old norton rescue program that was installed previously when my mom owned this computer.

My 1st thought would be to just un-install the old program,but it won't let me even access the old program because it was installed when my mom had windowsME and isn't even compatible with windows xp.

I need help please

Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to DerekGoodson
Talking Re: Trouble Installing My Anti-virus Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrob_513 View Post
I'm trying to install my new anti-virus sofware (McAfee) but i'm being told it wont let me because of an old norton rescue program that was installed previously when my mom owned this computer.

My 1st thought would be to just un-install the old program,but it won't let me even access the old program because it was installed when my mom had windowsME and isn't even compatible with windows xp.

I need help please
You will have to uninstall Norton totally!!! Locate all files in your programs file on your C: drive...

Warning: Norton isn't the easiest program to uninstall if you don't know what our doing....

Owner of Derek's Custom Computers
www.DereksCustomComputers.com
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Default Re: Trouble Installing My Anti-virus Program

Do a search for all files/folders with norton and symantec in them. Delete them all. Then, back up your registry and delete all registry keys for norton and symantec. Oh, empty the recycle bin too. You may have to do some of it in safe mode. Also you may need to stop the symantec service before deleting some of the files. I do this by right clicking my computer, select manage, services and applications, services. Scroll down to symantec and hit the stop button for each one.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the feed back,im going to try some of these methods
Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
Do a search for all files/folders with norton and symantec in them. Delete them all. Then, back up your registry and delete all registry keys for norton and symantec. Oh, empty the recycle bin too. You may have to do some of it in safe mode. Also you may need to stop the symantec service before deleting some of the files. I do this by right clicking my computer, select manage, services and applications, services. Scroll down to symantec and hit the stop button for each one.

How do u go about backing up your registry and delete all registry keys ????
Old 06-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Download Norton Removal Tool 2007.2.07.4 - SymNRT is a program that can remove some Norton software from your computer - Softpedia

That is for the Norton Removal tool. Use that and it should get rid of all things Norton Related.

A piece of advice as well. McAfee isnt muc better than Norton. I would suggest NOD32, Avast or AVG. They are all much better applicaitons than Norton or McAfee.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrob_513 View Post
How do u go about backing up your registry and delete all registry keys ????
Click start, then run and in the box type regedit and click ok. This opens up your registry editor. Click file, export and you can save a copy of your registry to the desktop or wherever you want. Name it whatever you want too. Then expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG and look in the software part of each for anything Norton or symantec, then right click on it and delete. Close the registry editor, reboot and you are done. If any problems arise from this you can import the copy you just exported and it returns to how it was.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks again everybody,your help is greatly appreciatted
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to DerekGoodson
Smile Re: Trouble Installing My Anti-virus Program

I use AVG and have had Zero problems with it...

I would have to say that it is one of the easiest Anti Virus software out there...

Owner of Derek's Custom Computers
www.DereksCustomComputers.com
Closed Thread