Triple Boot = Confusing (and maybe broken)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalcProgrammer1

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I have my new dv9700t laptop. It came with Vista Ultimate 64, which I like and want to use. However, I also want Ubuntu and Windows XP. Ubuntu was very easy to dual boot with Vista, but I'm having bigger issues with XP. Vista is obviously on the first partition (Linux hd0,0, Windows C: ) as NTFS. Ubuntu is on Linux hd0,4 (a 20GB partition) and XP is on a 40GB NTFS partition (hd0,2 or D: ).

When I installed XP, I simply picked the unpartitioned 40GB (after my Vista partition but before my Linux one) and made that NTFS and installed there. However, it must've messed up my MBR or something, because GRUB is booting hd0,0 (should be Vista) and it's booting XP. I've looked in the C: drive, all the files are still there, but it won't boot Vista. I'd really like to use GRUB to do all the booting, but apparently hd0,2 and hd0,3 don't work (ok, if I'm really this stupid, I totally forgot hd0,1 up until now, forgetting the start-at-0 thing, so I'm going to try that right after I post this).

So, how would I go about re-enabling my Vista partition?

I figured something like that happened. When I finally did get XP's partition right in GRUB, it said "NTLDR is missing." It looks like XP installs it's loader to whatever partition it can just so it will boot.

Gah, the Internet is hard to browse without graphics drivers! Pages load really slow and scrolling doesn't work right.

How do I restore Vista's bootloader without a Vista disc? I only have HP recovery CD's, not a real DVD

EDIT: Torrenting the Vista recovery CD from NeoSmart. Got my graphics drivers working, still no sound but I want to fix the bootloader first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom