TriBooting? XP, XP, and Vista? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default TriBooting? XP, XP, and Vista?

Okay, I used to have my computer double booted between just XP and Vista. Things were great I could select one at startup. When I formatted my computer, I made three partitions, one for Vista, one for XP, and one for another copy of XP. Now, I wanted a second copy of XP to play around with hacking programs in, I'm trying to I figured why screw up my main build with weird programs if I can have a separate load. So, now that I've installed my second load of XP, only XP and XP show up in the boot selector. So how do I get Vista booting capability back?

I originally used Vista Boot Pro for this.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mike9182
Default Re: TriBooting? XP, XP, and Vista?

Boot off of your Vista Install CD, and then choose to repair installation or something like that. Then choose to repair start-up.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

always install xp first. you always install the oldest windows system first
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I did... I installed XP, Vista, then XP. Should I have installed, XP, XP, then Vista?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn

it keeps on re-writing the MBR
i don't think windows has the option yet of simply adding the o/s to the boot record like linux does
[110.7896] Getting up from chair
[112.8798] Walking to fridge
[118.5234] Opening Fridge
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I know you can fiddle around with the boot.ini file to get it to see the windows.

I had my drive letters all messed up when I was restoring my computer, (my default windows is D, even though I has a C drive), and it was causing all sorts of problems until I got my windows back into D.

Anyway, once I had the letters back in order, it wouldn't boot. (my fun of unplugging hard drives and repluging them back in), but I was able to fix it just by modifying the boot.ini file to point to the hard drive I wanted it to. Also, this is where you can point to multiple windows to load from. (I have limited knowledge in this area, (mostly just fixing my rig), so make sure you backup things before modifying boot.ini file. If you can't back up whole drive, back up at least the boot.ini file, so that you can put it back if you screw up things. (I use a live linux cd to move around the boot.ini file, (but kinda had to since I couldn't boot)). If you have multiple partitions, you should be able to just boot into one and modify from there.

But know this was for only two windows....
Old 06-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Graphic Designer
Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

I think the installation order does not matter.

Mike from Greece, 16

Closed Thread