Transparency in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrestcupp

Daemon Poster
I like the transparent title bars in Aero, but is it possible to make the entire window semi-transparent so you can see what's under the whole window?

I'm a Windows guy, but after installing Vista, I've got to be honest. As far as eye-candy is concerned, I think Beryl in Linux blows Aero away. I love Vista, but I was actually a little disappointed with the eyecandy.

The only way to make the whole window transparent is with 3rd party software. In VIsta there is no option to make the whole window transparent.

As far as the whole eye candy statement...there were plenty of pictures out there long before Vista was released which showed the eye candy. Should have looked at them first before you spent the $$ on it i guess.

Yes it isnt perfect but it is a giant step forward over what XP was or anything beofre it.

i think Sabayon linux beats vista any day. there's 3D desktop switching(all the desktops in a cube), windows warp when you move them, and when you minimize them, it is like a genie going into a bottle or something like that. of course, it comes with aero, and uses WAY less resources too. it can run aero smoothly on a 64mb graphics card. thats what vista's minimum requirements for without aero are.
i also think the menu is much nicer than vista's start menu, it is categorized, but is still easy for a windows person. and a nice feature, you don't have to click on the start menu, you just have to put your mouse over it. it also has a feature where if you put your mouse pointer in the top right of the screen, it shrinks the windows and lines them up so you can see them all at once and choose one, kind of like vista's flip3d, but is easier to see all the windows.

i think Sabayon linux beats vista any day. there's 3D desktop switching(all the desktops in a cube), windows warp when you move them, and when you minimize them, it is like a genie going into a bottle or something like that. of course, it comes with aero, and uses WAY less resources too. it can run aero smoothly on a 64mb graphics card. thats what vista's minimum requirements for without aero are.
i also think the menu is much nicer than vista's start menu, it is categorized, but is still easy for a windows person. and a nice feature, you don't have to click on the start menu, you just have to put your mouse over it. it also has a feature where if you put your mouse pointer in the top right of the screen, it shrinks the windows and lines them up so you can see them all at once and choose one, kind of like vista's flip3d, but is easier to see all the windows.

You are talking about Beryl. You can't get Aero for Linux, and you will never be able to. You can get Beryl on any Linux distro you want.

And yeah, Beryl > Aero.

sounds like MAC osX

sounds like MAC osX
definately the part where it shows you all the windows at once

Beryl > Aero, but Vista is still > Linux
well, i would have to disagree with that. the only thing that vista might have thats in any way better than any linux distro is that it has service packs and support etc. but other than that here's a couple of things everyone loves about linux:

-almost no viruses, only a few for maybe a server o/s
-faster in most peoples' opinion
-most distros can run the same speed (if not faster) with more features, on less system resources.
-ITS FREE!!!
-most of them you can try out on bootcd before installing
-if you don't like one distro, you have hundreds more to try out (which can be a problem looking for the right one, but it's fun)

so in conclusion:

Beryl>Aero
Linux>Vista
Linux>any windows o/s
(and in my opinion) KDE>Gnome

but enough of the linux battle, forestcupp if you want the whole window to be transparent, try glass2k. i'm not sure if it works in vista, but it makes the whole window transparent. and you can adjust how transparent you want it to be.
Glass2k : Chime Softwares

the only thing that vista might have thats in any way better than any linux distro is that it has service packs and support
Ubuntu gets updates way more often than Windows. Not to mention the new version that is released every 6 months.

Ubuntu Forums is more support than I'll ever need, but I suppose I can understand if you like talking to someone over the phone.

kpmwrestler and Greg, why are you even in the "Windows Operating Systems and Software" forum? I think Beryl is sweet, but I don't come to this forum to fight the Linux vs Windows battle. In my opinion, Windows > Linux because it's less hassle, and more software works without having to find an alternative (that's usually not quite as good). I've used both extensively, and I know all of the facts about both, and I choose windows.

On topic:

Thanks for the glass2k suggestion. I've used it before, and it totally slows your system down if you have transparency set. I was just hoping that since Aero is already set up to have transparent title bars, they could just make it easy to make the whole window transparent.

weird world...where ppl will come to make negative comments in product centric forums.

I'm a MS/Windows fan, I've never gone to any other platform forum and made any negative comments. But that might be because I actually believe in my chosen platform.

It's that whole top dog thing where the underlings nip at the heels. There's only one alpha no matter how much the rest of the pack yelps and barks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom