transferring data from 1 pc to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaM

Beta member
hi can anyone help me?
i'm trying to fix up a friends pc, she bought it new 3 mos ago from dell. it's running XP, we just installed SP3, and upon reboot the pc will not start up. i spent an hour on the phone with dell yesterday trying to fix it, and it came down to we have to reinstall windows. what i want to do is try to transfer files from that pc onto mine, then do a complete wipe of the pc and reinstall windows. what i am wondering is how do i go about transferring some of her files to my pc where her's won't even load up. Is it possible to do this? what kind of cable do i need to do this?
if anyone has any advice on this it would be fantastic.
thanks
L

All you need to do is attach that harddrive to another PC, making sure that PC boots from it's current harddrive, it will appear, in my computer, as another drive, then you can broswe it's contents and do whatever you want from there.

i'm afraid if i start taking the pc apart the warranty from dell will be void, can i do this without taking apart the tower on the newer pc?

If you still have the warranty, use it, send it in and tell them you need the data backed up, the drive to be formated and a fresh copy of XP Installed.

Nope. Sorry. You have to be able to either get into Widnows to transfer the files or you will have to remove the drive.

Can try a Linux LiveCD. But you will have to get a USB External drive or something.

or you can use a bartpe cd or erd commander (they are more windows friendly) and an external drive. you can use erd to do a system restore and return it to the state when it work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom