Transfering Vista Install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinxarKnights

Baseband Member
I am looking for a way to transfer my Vista install from one disk to another. I am currently using an 80 GB IDE drive. I need to transfer it to a 250 GB SATA drive.

Is there a way to do this without having to reinstall Vista? Or would I be better off to just install it on the new drive and copy my files?

Keeping the IDE drive is not an option. It will be going into an external HDD enclosure for data storage purposes after I resolve this small issue.

Thank you for any assistance you could provide in this matter.

You can try getting a copy of norton ghost and doing a disk to disk transfer. That would be the easiest way that i know of to do it.

I dont think a transfer will be possible. Since the boot will be looking for a IDE device when you will have it on a SATA device. You could try ghosting it and then see if you could use the Vista DVD to fix the boot. But there are no guarantees. I would jsut format and isntall and transfer the files. Easiest way.

The drives can yes. The boot information within Vista cant. The drive info for the boot will not be the same. It will not read IDE disc (o) partition (1) like it would normally. It would ahve to be changed. ;)

Thank you for all of your responses. I will just reinstall it and copy my files then. I know how Windows don't like to be surprised when it boots and I don't feel like troubleshooting the install for months after the transfer when I could have done a quick install.

Thank you both for your input.

I have an update for this thread.

I ended up just copying the HDD with the Seagate Diskwizard. Worked like a charm. Only one very minor issue, I had to activate Windows again - my copy is legit so it was no big deal.

As long as all the components are the same activation is a breeze. The big issue comes if you ever have to replace the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom