Transfering a program from one HD to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandingo

In Runtime
My computers hard drive started making grinding noises a few days ago. I bought a new hard drive the other day and replaced the original with it. I just rebooted windows on the new one and transferred the files via usb onto the new hard drive from the old one. Two of the programs from the old hard drive were Word Perfect and Quicken. The problem though is it won't let me use either. It tells me it was not installed properly. Can someone help me on how to transfer those 2 programs onto the new hard drive from the old one and be able to use them again?

P.S. I also tried......I set old H.D. on CS and set new drive as slave with jumpers. I opened a window in C:/Program Files/ and I opened a window in D:/Program Files. I just dragged and dropped the Corel file folder and the Quicken file folder from the old drive C: to the new drive D: and then rebooted computer with new Drive as single Master drive. When i tried to open a saved Word Perfect file I have I selected it to open with Word Perfect and still got a message saying...."Word Perfect has not been installed correctly"

I do not have a disk for either program to put on the new hard drive. What can I do to get this program to work and or transfer over in a working state?

You can't just copy the program files folder over and expect everything to be fine on a new installation. You NEED to re-install the software, then copy the data over to the install if you want it working properly, that includes data in the user profile, and program files directory.

That's not true actually. You can use a program like SSD Boost Manager or Steam Mover, which copies everything over but uses junctions (I dunno the correct term) to make Windows think it's still there. This would be harder with an external drive though, since it's not guaranteed to have the same drive letter every time. They're designed to gain you more space on SSDs but they work fine with just hard drives.

But yes, you're right that you can't just manually copy everything over.

Programs like WordPerfect and Quicken will not transfer, even using such programs.

Those programs are made to use the a trick on the system for it to think that the program is installed where it thinks, or a junction, and then move it to where you want it. But it can only be done AFTER the programs have been installed. If you read all of the guides about it, all of the work is done after the programs are already installed so the Registry Entries and App Data folders are present. That isnt the case with such situations where you want to completely remove it from 1 drive and run it on another not using a junction point.

Ah yes, you're right. Evidently I didn't read the OP quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom