Transfering Files - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Transfering Files

I posted this over in audio and multimedia but figured this might be a better place. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I was using itunes and i had it organize my mp3 library, and what it did was put every song into it's own seperate folder according to artist. What i was wondering is there any program that will undo this and put all my mp3's back into one folder, since i have over 5000 mp3's it would take a while to do it by hand.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

None that I know of. I had to do the same thing you did by hand with over 10,000 MP3's. Luckily all of those were backups and automatically got there own folder from Windows Media Player.

Intel Pentium IV 2.7GHZ with Hyper Thread, 4 Western Digital 120GB HDD, 1 Maxtor 60GB HDD, VisonTek GeForce 4MX 440, SBLive! Value, TDK 440N DVDRW, Memorex 52X CDRW, Lian Li Aluminum Case, Too Many Fanes, and Not enough POWER!!!

2001 Toyota MRS
Old 04-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I would seroiusly doubt it considering that is a very rare task.
<font color=\'red\'>
<a href=\'\'>
Old 04-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well this is actually very easy to do. press (windows+F) to bring up the search box. select the root folder of the music files example if your music is in C:windows/desktop/mp3 with a bunch of subfolders in it than the mp3 folder is what you should select for the search to scan. also make sure the "subfolders" option is selected so it searches all subfolders.

type this wildcard in as the search key "*.mp3" if you have MP3, if you have WMA use "*.wma", ect. once the search is complete select all files and cut & paste to whatever folder you wish. man 10,000 folders and you did it manually, man that would suck.

also for winXP you can just browse to the root directory of your music and do a windows+F, looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error msg.jpg (59.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to provoko

Open up search and search your computer for all mp3's (*.mp3), then copy or cut the entire list into any folder you want.

Or what ekÆsine said, heh, beat me too it.
Closed Thread