Tracking cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim_77

Baseband Member
I recently visited a website and the admin said they could view other websites I've visited. What I was wondering is, have they just viewed my cookies, or have they found a tracking cookie listing the websites I've been to? I always thought only the website that created a cookie could view or modify it.

How did they do it, and how much detail does this give?

Most curious,
Jim.

some cookies are good and some are bad. I would delete the cookies you don't know of or want. I usually purge out the cookies once a week and only keep the ones I want like this forum so I dont have to enter my user name and password all the time. Yes cookies can see websites you have visited potentially.

well, you the web site probably has a cookie installed on your system that tracks were you have been, it then reports the history back to the admin. Despite what others argue, unless you give the info to the site, they can NOT get email addresses and names. Those would be trojans, not cookies. Remember they can also put on cookies for other companies to use/report back to.

So, it was unlikely he could actually see anything about me using the cookies in my browser. Do you think he could have found a way onto my computer? I'm running Firefox 1.0 on XP with a both a software firewall and a firewalled router.

Or could he just be lying and not really have found anything on my comp?

Odds are, he was lying. Unless the admin had access to the server files of the other sites, as in he was hosting them.

Yeah, it's begining to look more like he was just making stuff up. Thanks for your help though, I wasn't sure if I had a gaping hole in my software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom