Toshiba Satellite P35 S6292

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanwb

Beta member
Greetings Forum!

A few days ago I purchased a Toshiba Satellite P35 S6292 notebook. Specs are 3.2 HT, 512 RAM, XP Home SP2, etc...

I've been tinkering with it for a few days now and have notice that it is VERY STICKY. Hyper Threading is touted as a boon for multitasking, but working in two applications (outlook with windows explorer for instance) at the same time makes it unbearably slow. It's definitely slower than my old 2.5 Gh. True that machine had 1 gig of RAM, but still...

I called tech support and they could not tell me anything other than check the BIOS to see whether Hyper Threading was enabled, diable my system tray items in MSCONFIG, and reinstall the Toshiba utility items. None of those suggestions made a difference.

Reading in the Toshiba Forum I found someone running an Intel Hyper Threading Utility that checks whether the comp is running HT. I did that and for chipset, the results came up "Chipset Test: Did not pass"

Does this mean my P35 is NOT Hyper Threading and Toshiba is falsely advertising?

When I look at my hardware monitor it seems that my RAM is hardly ever above 300mb's available. What could my problem be?

Sincerely,
Stephan

Toshiba recently alerted costomers of potentially bad memory modules in some 25 models of its notebooks, according to Maximum PC (Jan 05).

Toshiba has made a utility available to detect the error. You can find it at:
www.toshibadirect.com/utilityCEP

Consomers have until April 30, 2005, to obtain replacement modules.

Your model was not on the list, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

For more information:
www.toshibadirect.com/content/pc/b2c/CEP.html

norton anti virus

Hey Trotter thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

There is one thing I did that seems to be the answer to my sticky issues. I disengaged the Norton Anti Virus and that totally did the trick. I'm up and running, blazing as fast as I was hoping to!

Thanks again... aloha
Stephan

Great news!

Seems Norton and McAfee are getting just as bad as Windows about hogging resources...

any anti virus you recommend?

Do you recommend a specific anti virus software that doesn't hog the resources that extremely?

I am running Computer Associates ez-Armor. It is an anti-virus/irewall package.

You can try eTrust AntiVirus free for thirty days HERE. The ezArmor suite is available for $49.95 (download or CD). You can throw in PasetPatrol for an extra $20.

TrendMicro's PCcillin has been top rated for the past two or three years. You can find it at NewEgg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom