Torrenting speeds?

Jungho06

Solid State Member
Hello,
Before you ask, yes I read the rules about torrenting and what I am doing is legal (downloading various distros of Linux and other freewares). I recently upgraded my internet to 15mbps and was able to download several gb in a few hours. However, in recent days, I've been getting absolute terrible speeds. I ran some speed tests on my internet to make sure that nothing had changed, I tried several torrenting programs. I've tried fiddling with program settings, only downloading one thing at a time. Long story short, absolutely nothing has worked. Any tips?
Cheers.

Can be several things. Your ISP could be throttling you because they see traffic on the higher ports (usually only used for P2P downloading) and are attempting to prevent you from using it (they aren't necessarily seeing what you're downloading even if it is legal; they just see the traffic).

Or it could even be a matter of not being able to connect to enough peers (if there are plenty of peers on the downloads you're doing). Could also be a firewall issue.

I'd also suggest power cycling your router / modem to ensure that isn't an issue.

Who is your ISP? I know Time Warner and Verizon FIOS throttle P2P users in the USA, and some ISP's in Britain does the same. Mistakes have been made in the past by the ISP's, where they throttle non-pirate internet users, as Carnage said. Has your SpeedTest changed before and after the speed changes? It could be a failing router or modem as well.

Thanks,
Matt

My torrents always say that they're connected to enough peers, etc. It's odd because I'll get high speeds for maybe a minute or so and then they'll plummet. The programs do have exceptions on my firewall, but is there something else I need to do there?

Thanks for the reply regardless!

Try powercycling your router / modem.

Another thing you could try, is try changing the port that the client is accessing (try changing it to a random port and see if it does it still; if it still slows down, then try setting it to port 80).

@M4TT I have Time Warner, yeh. But I've never encountered caps before this. My speedtest, if anything, has gotten better. I'm paying for 10mbps but usually getting 14-18. (Sorry for the double post)

EDIT: I'm on a wired connection.

I have TW as well, and I've also noticed speeds dropping. I pay for 10mbps download, the normal plan, yet have been getting 0.98 download, 0.69 upload... I called them yesterday and they said there has been a high amount of traffic related to Black Friday and the sort, and to wait until cyber monday has gone by. If I'm still slow, I should call back for a new modem.

@M4TT I have Time Warner, yeh. But I've never encountered caps before this. My speedtest, if anything, has gotten better. I'm paying for 10mbps but usually getting 14-18. (Sorry for the double post)

EDIT: I'm on a wired connection.

Have you tried my suggestions above?

Back
Top Bottom