Are these drivers problems on xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I believe I am having problems with one or more of my drivers on xp. Before XP would restart at random, maybe once every other day. Now every startup it says: 'start service database locked', and 'can't start kernel mode driver service'

I suspect one or more of these 3 drivers are the suspect.

1) driver for creative soundblaster audigy se 7.1 sound card. Some reviews stated that this driver caused trouble for their op system, also I don't think it is certified for xp.

2) asus eax 1050 video card driver. This one is certified for vista but not xp.

3) asus ethernet driver 'nVidia chipset driver 8.26. This is for the motherboard network chipset. Previously I had huge trouble when I installed the firewall that came with this driver.

All these drivers came off the disks that came with the product.

Has anyone experienced problem with these drivers on XP? Right now I am reluctant to test unistall them because, for example, my Premiere Elements program will probably blow up without a sound driver, etc.

Error Message:
The service database is locked.

Explanation:
An application may have tried to lock a service database that was already locked. Or an application may have tried to start a service when the service database was locked.

User Action:
Wait a few minutes, then try the operation again. The service database is locked.

That was the MS information on the first part of that error seen there. Upon installing first the Creative Xtreme Audio model on a new build here the auto driver web updater threw Vista drivers on XP! When at the MS update site and choosing the custom option in order to grab optional hardware updates MS also downloaded Vista drivers.

A trip to Creative's support site saw the Dec. 06 updater1 for XP while the July update was the web updater3 for Vista? Was there an updater2 for XP? This was after selecting XP as the version of Windows and still seeing Vista as the update. The drivers on the original cd are for XP but make sure not to allow the installer to go online for Vista drivers.

For the latest Catalyst 7.10 since the X1xxx series cards still see support you go to the ATI.AMD support site for downloads and select XP as the version of Windows being run to get that update. Drivers & Software

The drivers/software for the board should go right on when Windows is first being installed. You can download the updated set at the Asus support site.

An Asus tech told me the problem was I should have installed the motherboard chipset driver first, before I installed the sound and video drivers. I hope so, that will be a reasonable fix.

If you forgot the drivers/softwares for the board that will trip you up fast. That has more then sound and video(if present) drivers for onboard like drivers for memory controllers. When first finishing a Windows installation those are the first to go on to see the best results. So that's the thing to try there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom