Is there a way I can set the All Users folder, and lock it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Yep. Profiles. Again. Just curious... what if I just dump the contents of what I would normally put in the default profile, but instead, to all users...

My only concern is all users is a little more out there and public than default is. Can I lock it somehow so you either need a password to change the contents, or at least make it hidden without screwing anything else up?

By default only Administrators, Power Users and System have permission to change files in the All Users folder, I believe. Users have the ability to read and execute but not write.

I don't see why you couldn't make it hidden, then don't allow users to see hidden folders.
They can't really do anything to begin with though. On all my machines the All Users folder is there, nothing has ever happened.

The only issue is some of our software requires you to be an admin in order to run it, so we have to set students as administrators on our graphics labs and cadd lab. That's why I was a little more concerned about it.

I found some guy in the Windows IRC chat who helped me out bigtime, but still not 100% yet. What we ended up doing was falling back to using the default profile in the same manner I used it with XP. Yes I know it's not supported, but I don't care because I need to get things done so this is how I have to do it.

We ended up issuing a robocopy command, to copy the contents of my target user profile and copy it to default. Okay great, this worked. Sorta. It doesn't bring over the wallpaper (minor) or printers (major).

We tried pushing printers via group policy, and that works, but we need specific credentials to be set up within the printer preferences. This is something that will not copy over with group policy... basically making it a null point to use group policy for this.

Is there any way I can somehow force printers to travel across all profiles? Or make them available to be system wide instead of profile based?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom