Is there a way to "flag" a program requiring admin rights as... not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Long story short, there's ONE... (1) UNO SINGLE only one stinkin program left on the elementary systems that requires administrator rights. I thought for sure we'd be upgrading it to a web based platform this summer, therefore taking away the need to give students local admin rights. But alas - it's not leaving.

I hate giving students local admin rights. I like them having limited control because, let me be frank, it makes my job easier.

Is there any way in Windows XP to somehow customize the "rights" of a program so I can say "this program = full access for all users" so the users don't *NEED* administrative rights in order to run it?

I'm not entirely sure, but by the sounds of it I'm doubting it'd work. We used to host this program on a server and just put shortcuts for the students to access it, but it would bog down real bad. I don't think the program itself was built to withstand 100-200 users using it at once. What happens is when a student is on this program, it basically caches it... then when completed, saves the scores accordingly in the database on the server. So if you're talking in reference to hosting it elsewhere, I'm kind of ehh about that considering the bad luck we had before.

This is assuming I know what you're talking about - which.. I don't. :p

What kind of program is this anyways?

You should be able to find a modification somewhere in group policy if you are using an active directory/domain controller of some form. :-\

Been a long time since I played around with that stuff.

If there isn't a way, just throw the program onto a good high end desktop, and do some load balancing... I just can't see 100-200 students all using it at the exact same time X_X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom