There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not fuction cor

EricB

Chillin Techie
There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not fuction cor

I have this issue

"There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not fuction correctly. Renamintg it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?"

Properties of the file indicate that it is 743 KB with a description of "Webroot SecureAnywhere" and is digitally signed as "Webroot Inc." with a digital signature timestamp of "Jan 14, 2014 7:36:45 AM". A hexdump of the file shows at the top the standard "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" and at the bottom, there appears things like "Company Name - Webroot", etc.

We have had WRSA installed for a couple of years and did not do anything special yesterday. Do you know what this file is, and why it is labled as Webroot? Also, is this an automatic update or something that went awry?

Re: There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not fuction

Sounds like a virus to me. Use Malwarebytes, Avast, and post a Hijackthis log to the site.

Re: There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not fuction

Where is this message popping up?

Also, like PP said, run scans and post HJT log and we can take a look at it.

Webroot is an antivirus program, it does have a very long history
Antispyware, Antivirus, Endpoint Protection & Mobile Security | Webroot
It's part of WRSA
WRSA.exe file information
The process known as Webroot SecureAnywhere belongs to software Webroot SecureAnywhere by Webroot.
WRSA.exe Windows process - What is it?

You should contact Webroot to see if they recently had a funky update

Edit:
[Solution!]
Re: File name Warning
[ Edited ]
Options

‎10-05-2013 12:34 PM - edited ‎10-05-2013 12:35 PM

The error in question is not necessarily from Webroot, but if it is, it means there was an installation issue when installing Webroot. Here's how to fix it:

You will need to uninstall and reinstall Webroot SecureAnywhere using some special steps. Please follow the instructions below.

Part 1: Rename "Program"

1. Follow the correct steps for your Operating System.

Windows XP:
• Click Start, then click My Computer.

Windows Vista/Windows 7:
• Click Start, or the Windows icon, then click Computer.

2. Double-click the C drive
3. Scroll through the list to locate "Program".
4. Right-click Program and choose Rename.
5. Append the file extension ".exe" to the end of the filename, so that "Program" becomes "Program.exe".
6. Press Enter. You will notice that the icon for Program has changed.

Part 2: Uninstall and reinstall Webroot:

1. Open your Start menu.
2. Click Programs or All Programs, then navigate to the Webroot SecureAnywhere folder.
3. Under Webroot SecureAnywhere, open the Tools folder, then click Uninstall Webroot.
4. Click Yes and follow any prompts that appear.

Only if you have trouble getting Part 2 to work, try this more advanced method instead:
1. Open a command prompt (Start Button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

2. Type "cd C:\" and hit enter

3. Type "Program.exe - uninstall" and hit enter

4. Click Yes and follow any prompts that appear

It is not necessary to reboot your computer after uninstalling Webroot. To reinstall, download the latest installer.

1. Save the file to your desktop.
2. Double-click "wsainstall.exe" to run the installer.
3. Enter your keycode when prompted.
4. Click Agree and Install.
5. If asked "Would you like to automatically import the settings that were used in your previous installation?", click No. Webroot SecureAnywhere reinstalls itself.

That should take care of it if it was a Webroot-related issue. If not, it's most likely from another program that didn't install properly.

Worth noting - I haven't seen this issue in over a year, and I had to really stretch my memory to recollect it. Did you install Webroot off of an old store-bought cd while the computer was offline perhaps? If not, I'm surprised to see this at all if Webroot was involved, but please let us know either way.
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/File-name-Warning/td-p/59413

Last edited:

Thank you. It was a webroot issue. I couldn't find the file even after unhiding folders to uninstall it. I couldn't get a new download link from webroot latest version despite paying for this software, so I just hit yes and changed the name to the file

Back
Top Bottom