Is there any way to increase the size of an already installed Vista system? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Is there any way to increase the size of an already installed Vista system?

I like to dual boot, and I just want a small linux partition on this laptop... but the more I think about it, the more I don't like the way I have them set up, as if the vista one is smaller than I would have liked.

I'd like to increase it by 20 gigs, even though I have all of my music, pictures, games, programs, etc on it and I have 50 gig free yet.

Is this possible?

There's no place like /home.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Is there any way to increase the size of an already installed Vista system?

Yes, use the GParted -- LiveCD

You can burn this iso to a CD. Then boot to the CD and it will let you resize partitions without losing data. I would back up important files just to be safe, though. This is a free program.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Is there any way to increase the size of an already installed Vista system?

Yeah anything like gparted or partition magic will do that. Like forrestcupp said, backup what you need. There's always the chance that something's going to mess up, especially when that involves reorganizing your whole hard drive.

AMD 4200+ | 2gigs Corsair XMS 3200 | EVGA nf41 sli | EVGA 9800 GTX+
Tagan ITZ 700w | Audigy 2 ZS | 250 gig WD | 80 gig WD | 750 gig WD

LAPPY | Vista Business x86
Dell Vostro 1500 | 2 gigs dell junk| 160 gig | 8600M GT
Closed Thread