are there any apps our there that would append instead of overwrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marina_1234

Beta member
Hi -- I am running XP, have been looking either for a batch file or an app to help me make it easier to back up my files on several pcs to an external 3tb drive. Right now when you drag a bunch of folders (which have a lot of files in them some new and some old) over to it it prompts me if I want to overwrite my previously existing folder and I have to say no. Going through the rather laborious process of dragging the files over and hitting no for the old ones (there are far too many for me to simply pick out the new ones and there if I simply said yes and recopied all of them it would take about a full day of copying so that's not a good option either lol). Is there anything out there that would automatically APPEND to the folder? Copying the newer files to it, and if there is an existing file with a different size and/or time/date stamp if it would rename the previous file (perhaps as the existing file name with the date or something) and copy the newer file to the folder as well (so I have both)… If it's the same (time/date stamp and/or size) do nothing… I have been looking pretty extensively and have been amazed that nothing exists that does anything even remotely like this (or perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places lol) -- again it could just be a batch file or something – it doesn't have to be anything fancy… Best would be a batch file I could edit the path to copy to/from… But what do you think? Any suggestions? If I had the ability to code I would just write it myself but I will admit my skills lie in the fixing things that are broken arena -- not coding... Does anyone know any existing app that does this? Suggestions? Anything? Could really really use this as it's soooo time consuming for me to constantly sit there and go one by one yes or no to the overwrite prompts… Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom