Terminal Services in Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdude25

Baseband Member
I was wondering how to use terminal services in Windows XP. I know i can use Remote desktop, but I want to use terminal services instead. Is there a way to do this?

Terminal services require a terminal server generally installed on a Windows 2000 Domain environment for remote administration. Remote Desktop is for home use.

Remote desktop is a form of Terminal services. just limited to 1 user at a time. As gabe stated, to really have/use terminal services, you need a terminal server.
What is it you are looking to do?

Remote Desktop is evil! Turn it off and never speak of it again!

And if you're really serious about using terminal services with XP, use Server-2003 instead of 2000. While 2000 is great, 2003 works better with XP.

so is remote desktop. I work in an enterprise environment and use it all the time. Even from home though our VPN. It works better then anything thing else and costs us nothing. Nor does it break our IT policy, which states that all remote applications need to go though our 90 day stress test. Since this is almost never going to happen, we use what we can. I can say that remote desktop works wonderful for the needs we have. then there is remote assistance which also works wonders, both inside the environment and outside.
as to thirdparty stuff, I have used and tested a number and can say with a little certainty, all have their faults, including VNC.
as to the security concerns, you can block traffic at the router for this, so you can't go out or back in, or only enable it when needed.
This quote comes to mind...

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom