A Tech Who Must Vent! Mad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldorfpc

In Runtime
So, I've just serviced my netbook a week ago because my hard drive failed. The hard drive that came with it is a spin drive, and the quality was not the greatest. It completely failed after six months of my owning the machine. So, I purchased a Western Digital spin drive because I like Western Digital, and the quality is outstanding. So, I proceeded to format the drive and install Windows 7 Starter, which is what came with my system. I ran into a problem because when I needed to use the product key to activate Windows, it no longer exists because the stickers are not of poor quality. They are no longer the plastic stickers that used to come with the systems. Product keys are now written on these paper stickers, which makes it easy for the numbers to wear off.

Today, when I had some time to deal with the issue and was not all tied up with my business, I called Acer to explain my problem. I asked that if I provided them with the model number and serial number if they could then provide me with the product key. They said they had no way to track the product key and that I'd have to get one of their recovery disks. I was fuming at this point. To make matters worse, I spoke with someone who couldn't even speak English, and I had to say things several times. He was puzzled as to why I needed a product key in the first place and stated that Acers do not ask for them if the recovery disks are used. But I did not use the recovery disks because they are not shipped with the computers, and why would I want the factory settings that contain all the junk and stuff you don't want when you can just do a clean install with an ISO file and customize it the way you want? I told the rep I used an ISO file. But, he continued to ask questions concerning the recovery and all that crap. I must have said that I used an ISO a dozen times! I still don't think the rep even understood because he was just not getting it. Finally, I just hung up the phone because I could feel my temper flaring.

Now, I'm so angry because I have to reformat my system, which is not only going to take loads of time out of my schedule, but it will also take away from my earnings, too. These big corporates just think that us small business people can bend to them, and all they can offer is a stupid cliche "We apologize for the inconvenience." If only they realized how big of an inconvenience this is going to be and has been thus far. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I'm not even going to get a stupid recovery disk. I'm going to use an XP product key from one of the junked computers in my work space and call it a day. I don't want their stupid recovery disk with all the extra crap they install on their computers. Ug!

Whew! I somewhat feel better but do not look forward to the task that looms ahead.

I would get the recovery disks (if they have the product key). If nothing else I would install it, use Jellybean to get the key, and then format and reinstall my own without the crap.

I figure a couple of hours while I do something else would be worth having Win7.

Hey, Trotter. that is a good point. I was busy being too mad tha tI never thought of extracting the product from the recovery disks. You've got some rep for that. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention. And yes, Windows 7 is great! I absolutely love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom