tcp/ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

breeman

Beta member
Is it possible to remove and reinstall tcp/ip protocol in XP?
I am unable ro renew using "ipconfig".

Are you using a NIC? If so, certain types of NIC's do not allow you to /renew using the ipconfig utility. If you are wanting to change it, contact your ISP about it.

the NIC is not the problem.
I have two "OS"s on the machine and the w2k OS allows me to release and renew.
The XP OS does not.

i think to reinstall the tcp/ip stack you need to use some commands in windows DOS. unfortunately I don't know what those commands are.

if you want to release/renew it should have that option when you right click the loacal area network's properties. but a better way that seems to fix more problems is to disable and re-enable your network connection. that renew's your ip address but also seems to fix some of the dhcp problems i've had.

or if you just want to remove tcp/ip and install it again, just open your network connections (in control pannel) and right click on the connection that you are using, then go to properties. Click on TCP/IP and click remove. Then install it again. Don't know if that will fix your issue, but that's how to do it.

the commands for the ipgonfig command in DOS are as follows, well what i use in XP to do it.

ipconfig /release all i think the all part is a trigger not needed cant remmember exactly, but find out with trial and error and the other one is
ipconfig /renew all

hope it helps

You may wish to consider that on a Dual Boot machine, the 2000 install (possibly the first install?) may have control over the TCP IP stack?? This may cause you to be virtually "locked" out,,, I have seen this issue before, but only on dual boot machines, and only the original install that originally configured the stack, had control,, the next install kinds Piggy-backed for the connection information,,,

Just a thought?

Well, if you want to know if it is possible, then yes, it is.

The above reply from Lostman pretty much explains it the best.

As for release/renew.....The commands above aren't correct....they are from Windows 9x and ME.

The ipconfig commands for XP Home and Pro are:
ipconfig /release (followed by adapter ID or blank for all adapters)
ipconfig /renew (followed by adapter ID or blank for all adapters)

When you use the ipconfig command with the /release switch, are you getting an error? or is it timing out?
If the adapter that you are releasing uses DHCP then you should get a 0.0.0.0 address/subnet result.

After you get the 0.0.0.0 address result, use the ipconfig with the /renew switch. If you can see your DHCP server (ISP, router or whatever is providing your ip address) then you should get a newly assigned address.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom