Task Scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

scj6771

Baseband Member
Is it possible to run the Task Scheduler as a non-admin? I have been tasked to prepare a machine to automatically run a "collect and send" from within the Xata program installed on that machine. What is Xata you ask? Xata collects all kinds of information from our drivers on the road, pickup times, drop-off times, what trips the driver will be making for the day, how fast he is going, how hard he brakes, when he shits........I think you get the picture, you can find more info at www.xata.com if you so please. Anyway back to the issue at hand, this is a rather simple command and it pulls the data from a "data station" that gets it's info from the drivers through a key system.

Like I said before, any user can sign on to this machine and run the "collect and send" the issue starts when I try to setup the task scheduler to run the program. The only time I can get this to work is if I sign on as an admim, create the task as an admin and run the task as an admin. What I do not understand is that inside the Task Scheduler it will ask you for a username and password of a user that you want the program to run under, yet if I logoff and log on as a non-admin and try to run the job under the Task Scheduler, it will say it is running but I know from the lack of data it has not.

The machine in question is loaded with XP Pro SP2. I hope this all makes sense to you, in a nutshell I just want to run the Task Scheduler as a non admin.

if you create the task from the command line with the at command, the task will run under the machines SYSTEM Account which should give you the access you need.

C:\Documents and Settings\hp>at /?
The AT command schedules commands and programs to run on a computer at
a specified time and date. The Schedule service must be running to use
the AT command.

AT [\\computername] [ [id] [/DELETE] | /DELETE [/YES]]
AT [\\computername] time [/INTERACTIVE]
[ /EVERY:date[,...] | /NEXT:date[,...]] "command"

\\computername Specifies a remote computer. Commands are scheduled on the
local computer if this parameter is omitted.

id Is an identification number assigned to a scheduled
command.

/delete Cancels a scheduled command. If id is omitted, all the
scheduled commands on the computer are canceled.

/yes Used with cancel all jobs command when no further
confirmation is desired.

time Specifies the time when command is to run.

/interactive Allows the job to interact with the desktop of the user
who is logged on at the time the job runs.

/every:date[,...] Runs the command on each specified day(s) of the week or
month. If date is omitted, the current day of the month
is assumed.

/next:date[,...] Runs the specified command on the next occurrence of the
day (for example, next Thursday). If date is omitted, the
current day of the month is assumed.

"command" Is the Windows NT command, or batch program to be run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom